Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 Mile Service?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

An 03 with only 7,000 miles?? It doesn't need to be in the shop. It needs to be in the wind!

Put some fresh oil in it and ride it!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
An 03 with only 7,000 miles?? It doesn't need to be in the shop. It needs to be in the wind!

Put some fresh oil in it and ride it!
Well there in lies the problem. Too few miles can be tough on a bike too. Oil needs to be changed at an absolute bare minimum of once a year, not to mention brake fluid (7 years old and counting) etc.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Well there in lies the problem. Too few miles can be tough on a bike too. Oil needs to be changed at an absolute bare minimum of once a year, not to mention brake fluid (7 years old and counting) etc.
Exactly!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
RKStrider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nedster
Nuthn more than change the fluids, maybe check the tension on your drive belt and grease the steering head. Depends on how the enthusiasm of the tech
So true about the enthusiasm. Had 1000 mile service done at dealer where I bought bike. Had 10000 mile service done at other dealer in town.. Decided to do 15000 mile service myself. Removed steering head grease zert to install angled zert. Original zert had zero grease in it. Cavity in steering head had zero grease. Took original zert to service manager at second dealer and asked him what is was. He said it was a new zert. I said no, it was the zert that your tech should have greased at the last service that I paid big bucks for, so I'm sure that he didn't check the critical fasteners either.
With a minimal amount of tools and a shop manual, you can do most service yourself, and know that it's done right.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
frozensoul
Road Master

get a manual and do it yourself if you can handle it. where i live we got 2 good old boys that could show the folks that teach the techs a thing or two. these guys been wrenching on harleys for years and the without a dout know their chit. some of the rides the build are unreal. great thing is when i do have one of them work on my ride i know its done right and at half the cost of the stealer..

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

I can't believe the prices you guys quote for service. At Fink's HD in Zanesville, Ohio, the prices are posted on the wall for all to see. 10,000 service was $225 if I remember. Most are about the same price, 1,000, 5,000 etc. At 7,000 miles, just change the oil and buy a manuel. $600 is 5% of the value of the bike--- for what-- to have a junior tech change the oil ? Maintenence is not rocket science. Then stealers wonder why we never come back. At $65 an hour, it only takes 1.5 hours to do the service........ you do the math... oil is not made of gold.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
I can't believe the prices you guys quote for service. At Fink's HD in Zanesville, Ohio, the prices are posted on the wall for all to see. 10,000 service was $225 if I remember. Most are about the same price, 1,000, 5,000 etc. At 7,000 miles, just change the oil and buy a manuel. $600 is 5% of the value of the bike--- for what-- to have a junior tech change the oil ? Maintenence is not rocket science. Then stealers wonder why we never come back. At $65 an hour, it only takes 1.5 hours to do the service........ you do the math... oil is not made of gold.
My thought's exactly!
If you have the cash and don't want to do it, then that's another issue and you're at their mercy.
The manual has saved me $3000 at the rates the OP was quoted ($600 x 5 recommended service intervals). Not to mention another $600 labor for the cost of the trans bearing I just replaced. Or the 3 $500 tire changes. I could go on.......

Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM
jlfabian
Tourer

At Foster's HD in North Alabama, I paid $168 for a 10K service. Included changing over to synthetic fluids, replacing the spark plug, and of course all of the inspections spelled out in the manual along with several adjustments. A buddy had a 1K done on his UC and paid even less. I've put over a 1000 miles on it since with no problems. I do plan on buying the service manuals as I like to work on my stuff, but I haven't done that yet.

It's a trip for me to get to their shop, but that's part of the draw - nice 1/2+ day road trip usually with a friend or two. Usually only have to wait about an hour or so before we're back on the road. I'd shop around as most dealers do post their prices in the service shop (not all do).

Old 09-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can do the work myself. I have worked on my own snowmobiles for 25 years and never taken one to a dealer. I also built and run a Blown Big Block Chevy in a Drag Boat. The problem is Im kinda new to this HD thing and I just didn't want to screw anything up. When she said $450 I wanted to bust out laughing because im sure that they would change the oils and give it HIDE-HO out the door....

I bought the owners manual and I will get a shop manual next. Im sure that will be a big help.

Last edited by Dans03RKC; 09-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

What they do is..........take your money!

Quick Reply: 10,000 Mile Service?????