Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Tank Removal

I will be tearing into my bike for the first time (only had it for 3 weeks) this weekend to install a bunch of mods. I never owned a FI bike before, and was wondering if the fuel lines are under pressure like in a (FI) car.

If so, do I need to do anything in particular to relieve the pressure before removing the fuel line?

This next one may be a stupid question, but I want to know. All of my other bike have been carbed, and had a petcock. Is there a fuel shut off valve somewhere?

I'm guessing the tank removal is pretty straight forward. Remove the bolts, fuel lines and take it off right? Is there anything I need to know before taking it off?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy just push up on the coller at the fuel line near the tank and pull the line out.And yes it has a check valve built in you shouldnt lose but a few dropps.Then to install push up coller and insert line then i always pull it down to make sure its locked

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

First get a service manual. It will walk you thru the removal procedure.

If you let the bike sit for a while the pressure will dissipate and you can remove the fuel line without a problem. You are going to have to remove the cross over line. If you are going to reuse the cross over line you'll need a crimp tool to attach new clamps. My suggestion would be to install a quick disconnect in the cross over line. Seach this forum for quick disconnect cross over line info. If you have any intention of removing the tank again the quick disconnect is a great upgrade.

Just my