Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help from my brutha's!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I am sure that with todays emissions, even motorcycles have a EVAP system to keep the fumes from venting into the atmosphere. Just not sure that would cause going into a limp mode, CEL yes. And the codes would have to do with the EVAP not the throttle actuator. But since it is new, it may have been a loose connection (maybe it did not get clipped all the way) or a faulty connector. Good luck & keep us posted.

Toby

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM
SOLOLUCKY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is this "main wiring harness " mentioned earlier in this thread?
Mine did this limp cfrap over the weekend and I will wiggle and unplug/replug lotsa stuff to keep from "going limp"...i mean going into limp mode again.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Badfinger
I can't recall where I read it but I'll try to find it. I do know several people have reported on this site that after over filling their tanks on late model fuel injected bikes they went into limp mode. It may have something to do with a clogged overflow or fuel blocking the vent when topped off.

Ya gota love these forums! Where else can people come with problems only to have the clueless insult those who try to help? Let's see what was the failure mode and what a coincidence that it happened after refueling? Hmm brand new bike no problems then he refueled it and it went into limp mode...I suppose the experts are going with the "Gee I guess your connectors corroded on your new bike while you were getting gas " mode. After all it's three weeks old now and they don't last forever you know. And because they have never heard of a problem with overfilling (not overflowing for you slower readers ) that can't possibly happen because they know every possible failure mode with Harley / Delphi electronics. That's like saying the world isn't flat, I mean that's just crazy.
Picking up on the sarcasm ... kinda funny though.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badfinger
Over filling the gas tank can cause this problem.
I want to revive this thread for a moment in case someone else starts to have this issue. I went for a ride today and I stopped for gas. It was one of those times when the gas starts to come out of the pump really slow, so you get an opportunity to fill it up to the rim. Well I filled it up to the rim, not really thinking about it. Started my bike and guess what - exact same issue, exact same codes p1511 and p2101. Coincidence - maybe... I pulled over and and tried to get the bike to start - no luck. Spent a few minutes pulling the codes then I remembered this post. Undid the gas cap for about 2 minutes, screwed it back on loosely and the bike fires right up. Not sure whether the bike cooling down or releasing some of the vapor helped. Anyway, maybe there is something to this overfilling the gas tank thing.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I can't help but giggle at the know-it-alls.

lp

Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, TickTock, at least now you know for sure what to do when this happens. Although I fill my tank to the top and have to stand it up to get the fuel down enough to put the cap on and have never had this problem. If this happens to me, I'll know how to fix it. Good thing we read the forum. Congrats.

All right Badfinger-you nailed it!! Good catch! Sometimes a fix for a problem sounds totally off the wall but that don't mean it won't work.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should clarify in the above post - the bike always started but it was in limp mode until the gas cap loosening or bike cooling fixed it. I'm betting on overfilling somehow causes this to happen, particularly when the bike is hot. I am not sure how or why but two times both right after fueling sounds awfully suspicious.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This overfilling the gas tank reminds me of a funny story. Way back when there were full service stations, an old guy would bring his pickup in for service. He was a fanatic about everything and watched as the guy's went about doing the service. He also wanted the air changed in his tires. One day they decide to pull a trick on him. While one has his attention, the other pulled the coil wire before putting the hood down. The old guy got in and it wouldn't start. They raised the hood like they were looking for the problem. One of them told the old guy he thought the problem was too much air in the tires. While the old guy watched as he went around and let a little air out of each tire, the other put the coil wire back in. The old guy jumps in the truck and it fires right up. He leaves smiling from ear to ear. They get a big laugh from it. A couple of months go buy and they get a call from the old guy. His truck won't start. one of the guy's takes the company truck and goes to help the old man. When he get's there, he finds the problem is the trucks out of gas, But in trying to find the problem, the old guy has all four tires flat.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have the dealership check out and/or replace whatever sensor is in the evap to cause it to trigger the codes/limp mode?

Might be that your sensor is a touch too sensitive.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,880 Likes on 21,305 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
I want to revive this thread for a moment in case someone else starts to have this issue. I went for a ride today and I stopped for gas. It was one of those times when the gas starts to come out of the pump really slow, so you get an opportunity to fill it up to the rim. Well I filled it up to the rim, not really thinking about it. Started my bike and guess what - exact same issue, exact same codes p1511 and p2101. Coincidence - maybe... I pulled over and and tried to get the bike to start - no luck. Spent a few minutes pulling the codes then I remembered this post. Undid the gas cap for about 2 minutes, screwed it back on loosely and the bike fires right up. Not sure whether the bike cooling down or releasing some of the vapor helped. Anyway, maybe there is something to this overfilling the gas tank thing.

Hmmmm, maybe my question relates to this then;maybe..

I posted this earlier..today and never really got any response other than checking the battery ground.

When I was riding last week, I was at a red light stopped, bike was kinda hot, lot of city riding. I went to accelerate and the bike just died, but started right up and I got going again, ran fine no stuttering or rough running.
Got to next red light and then it did it again.
It did not do it again after that.

Last summer once at a stop after being hot too as it was the other day it was going to die after being stopped, but I caught it.

It has me wonderin'...I don't know if it has the older style of Idle Air Control in it or not, do you recall if the newer throttle body has it?

That's about the only thing I could think of off hand, is that I read that the IAC unit gets gummed up with oil at times..This is a Fly by Wire though with a PC-V....
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lionsm13; 11-14-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: need some help from my brutha's!