Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help from my brutha's!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well she's got new veins (main wiring harness). Running like it should. Only time will tell now.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM
mykol_in
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad I found this thread

TickTock, I've had the exact same issue with my bike (2007 FLHTCUI) since I originally purchased it brand new in 2006. The crappy thing is it only took me about 6 years to notice the common theme when the bike would sputter (limp mode) was that I just finished fueling up. I've had two other bikes prior to this one, 03 sportster and 2000 Night train, both of which were carbed.

After first experiencing the "Limp Mode", I took it to the shop (a local and legit shop)... had it towed there. My bike would fire right up, but as soon as 1500rpm (+/-) would hit, the bike would sputter and choke out.

After telling me it was possibly bad gas (which was only about 5 minutes old from when the issue started), I took the bike home and didn't have any other issues... until I fueled up later. This time I decided to pay the HD (High Dollar) mechanics at the local Harley shop to diagnose the issue. They said they disconnected the Power Commander and reconnected it, and that's all that fixed it.... and it only costed me $300! What a joke.. Thanks a lot, Walnut Creek Harley...

The next time the issue happened was again right after I got gas, so I decided to open the gas cap after shutting the bike off, then turning the ignition switch to "On," so as to reset the EFI. The bike fired up just fine with no probs. I wasn't sure if filling the bike up to the brim was the culprit for this issue (and I'm still not 100%), but it can't just be a coincidence.. can it?

Bare in mind, I'm not a mechanic, and I don't intend on pretending to be one. I'm sharing my common experience in hopes it'll shed more light on this situation, because no one seems to be able to tell me what the deal is... and none of us bought our bikes so they can be paper weights in our garages.

Now that I've at least identified the common theme, I don't fill it up to the brim... and my bike hasn't had any "Limp Mode" issues.

If anyone else has any insight on this, I'm all ears. Thanks