Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Zumo Road Tech 665 Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr
I am in the process of having this done on my new 2011 FLHTK, as I type this, The dealer states that they need to remove the gas tank to run a wire harness in to the fuse box. WHAT! Does this sound right for installing the road tech navigation interface module.
That might be the "correct, HD way" to wire it. For me, I wired mine to the back of the cigarette lighter. This required pulling the fairing off.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr
I am in the process of having this done on my new 2011 FLHTK, as I type this, The dealer states that they need to remove the gas tank to run a wire harness in to the fuse box. WHAT! Does this sound right for installing the road tech navigation interface module.
There is an extra existing power supply lead already at the headlight wiring. This is the simpliest place to get the power from and was specifically put there at the HD factory for this purpose. This is switched power which is exactlly what you need for the GPS. All running the lead to the battery will accomplish is increase the labor charge for the dealer, which you will pay.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Estil
There is an extra existing power supply lead already at the headlight wiring. This is the simpliest place to get the power from and was specifically put there at the HD factory for this purpose. This is switched power which is exactlly what you need for the GPS. All running the lead to the battery will accomplish is increase the labor charge for the dealer, which you will pay.
Yes, that is exactly what my instruction sheet said to do. These instructions also included the FLHTK. The supplied harness is too short (IMHO) to run under the tank to the fuse box without splicing. My wires @ the headlight were in use by my garage door opener, so I used the rear wiring to the cigarette lighter as did SIFULARSON. HD sells the splitters to wire back there very easily.

Sounds like the dealer is pulling a fast one.

Last edited by hdramon07; 02-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 AM
longrides
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install

That's correct... the directions say route to fuse box under the tank. However, removing the tank is easier than you think.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Yep, that's what I did

Originally Posted by Estil
When I installed my Zumo 665, all I did was remove the front fairing, and used the switched power wire that was tucked under the headlight. No need to run a wire under the seat in my opinion.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Zephyr
Stage III
Default Update

I decided to go back to the dealer and have them explain what it is they are doing, The Harley way is to wire it to the fuse box on it's own circuit. The only wire that runs back there is the power for the cradle. On the 2011 there is a plastic cable tray running under the tank the wire needs to go in. He had one torn apart in the shop and showed me.

I would normally do this myself and pick power up in the fairing but I got a pretty good deal on parts and labor, 25% off and two year warranty. So in doing the math, if I did it I would end up paying about the same with just the manufactures waranty.

Plus he is already pulling the fairing off to paint the inner fairing so while he's at it, might as well install the system.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Bleed3
2nd Gear

Where did you mount the antenna? I'm getting the Zumo 665 with XM Radio and Xm Weather/RAD. It has a puck style antenna. Any suggestions

Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I put velcro on the front master cylinder cover. It doesnt look as bad as it sounds. This way I can take the gps and antenna off and put in the truck for xm in the truck.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleed3
Where did you mount the antenna? I'm getting the Zumo 665 with XM Radio and Xm Weather/RAD. It has a puck style antenna. Any suggestions
There's a disk to attach to the bottom of the "puck" that's magnetic. Once you install it, you can just sit the "puck" on top of the radio. It holds great and the reception in that area is good.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 PM
longrides
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bleed3
Harley sells an under fairing mount for the antenna. However, it you want to move the unit to your car and make it portable, including XM you need this
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US'
I have one new in package for $20.
There is a mount for under the fairing but i don't see it on the HD site anymore.

Quick Reply: HELP Zumo Road Tech 665 Install