Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too short for your flh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RE: "Then they try to make the bike fit them."

I guess with your line of reasoning, maybe people shouldn't be able to buy any vehicle or Harley that they can't pay cash for. Clearly they can't afford it, since they don't have the money saved up to pay cash. They really should buy a smaller bike, or less expensive brand, one that they can actually afford. Maybe even a scooter or moped. Otherwise, by financing the bike, they are just trying 'to make the bike fit' them budget-wise.

Sounds kinda silly, right? I'm 5'-6", and wish I was taller, but it just doesn't work that way. Wish I was better looking too, but I can't change that either! I've had four Harley's, all Ultra Classics, and I should be able to ride what I want, as long as I can do it in a safe manner. I've done the typical changes, Reach Seat, Profile-Low Rear Shocks and replaced the rear passenger floorboards to a smaller version so I have more room when putting my feet down at a stop. All right from the 'Harley designated and approved' parts and accessories catalog.

By the way, I've been riding since 1975 and have had two motorcycle accidents: first one was going up a step, winding grade at night and a vehicle ahead of my spilled diesel fuel onto the road. When I went onto the corner, the bike was out from under me so fast I didn't even know what happened. Second one was a lady, making a left-hand turn onto a highway, pulled out in front of me because she 'didn't see me'. Neither were 'rider error' or had anything to do with the size of the bike or my height.

A 2011 Heritage has a laden seat height of 25.5" and a 2011 Street Glide has an laden height of 25.5"; woo-hoo, six-tenths of an inch, so I don't really see the point to your assessment.

We all ride what we want to ride, not what someone else thinks we should ride.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 09-23-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
I'm with Texas Fat Boy, why am I reading this? I am stupider now than I was 10 minutes ago.
Me too...I have noticed that the OP is making lots of new friends! Really...what was the purpose of this post?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 5'5" on a tall day.When I sat on my 09 EG Classic in the show room I knew the way it was,that it was too tall for me.But I could see a good looking,good handling bike under that tour pak and puffy seat.A set of shocks and a Danny Gray seat has me flat footin and happy as heck that I bought a bike that was too big for me.No offense taken.
Dan

Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes people shrink with age. What may have fit years before sometimes becomes a bad fit over time. HD has a lot of ways to customize the fit, but if you don't have a good fit it may void your warranty and could cause serious injury or death.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 PM
al baehr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we all buy harleys so we can change them and make them ours, its no fun unless we try to ***** something up every other week DUH

That reminds me I have sweepers on the way so my bike fits me .

Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by emwolb
it always amuses me when someone who's 5'5" tall gets a harley touring bike only to find out that they're not able to flat foot it when stopping. Then they try to make the bike fit them. somehow i'm thinking that they should have sat on the bike in the showroom before buying it. a deluxe or heritage softail would have been much easier for them to fit on. i see lots of discussion on how to lower the suspension, shorter seats, etc, when in fact some people just don't have long enough legs to fit on a flh. maybe platform shoes from the seventies will come back in style and they'll be able to fit. this wasn't written to offend the vertically challenged, but for some, another model would have been more suitable.
Why don't we make it a law that if you're under 5'7" you are not allowed to buy a tourer? I'm sure if you call Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid they'll write it and even find a way to tax you if you sit on one and your feet don't touch the floor.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm, I thought is was too early but I guess Winter has arrived in some area's of the Country. That's usually the time of the Year that some of Us start dumb post's, like this one!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
ericgelectra
Intermediate

I agree stupid post.. 5'7 here on an 07 EGC.. I purchased the bike with the intention of customizing to my taste. Solo seat (snakeskin) lowering bracket (-2 in.) In total> $45 bracket on ebay, and $250 solo seat. So, no its not expensive to make it fit, and it looks alot better..

Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm 5' 4" and flat foot my glide with ease! I only have a problem sometimes when using my legs to maneuver the Glide! I would never get on a bike unless I can flat foot it!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
chopperglide
Advanced

Ever ride a dirt bike? those darn things are up to your hips how do those kids do it shame shame!!!
I know many short female riders that ride RK, SG, and can out ride many of males.
I think it’s a comfort issue at stop and when you happen to not give enough thought to parking and end up forward facing downhill. (Hate when that happens)
It can sometimes be a sign of being “over biked” but you can overcome that with time in the saddle.
By the way 5’5” is tall in some countries. Our food with all those chemicals makes us taller ugh!!! Another topic…
“Live and let die” is what Paul McCartney says and I believe him…

Quick Reply: Too short for your flh?