Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Ice Pearl touch up paint

Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
dmax
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Ice Pearl touch up paint

Took a cross country trip and my 2010 Ultra limited took some hits. I got the touch up kit for my Black Ice Pearl and there are 3 bottles of paint. Looks like vivid black,white pearl, and clear. I assume the clear is for after the paint is down but how do I apply the other two colors??? Thanks Guys

Old 09-23-2010, 02:17 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I don't know for sure as I've never worked with that particular color, but it sounds to me like the vivid black is the base coat you shoot first, than, after it's dried and probably color-sanded to even it out, the pearl, which is a milky clear with small metallic particles is applied over that, than the clear is applied which may or may not have metal flake in it, after the second color has been color-sanded. Pearl metallics are awfully hard to repair without the repair being noticeable, the density of the metallics and how the paint's applied make a huge difference in it's appearance. It's usually better to have the whole panel/piece reshot so it's uniform. I guess if it's just some stone chips it might be possible to do it with a brush that's smaller than the area to e repaired, but you might want to check with a pro to see how much he'd charge you to just shoot the piece if you did the prep work yourself and supplied the paint.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It's a three-stage color: base color, tinted clear w/solids (pearl), and top clear coat.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered the kit for my bike, just wondering how you made out? I have 1 small chip on the fender and two on the tank

Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

vivid black is indeed the base coat.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

its actually 2 stage, vivid black, then the pearl and blue ice, then the pearl..

3 colors in the kit

black
blue
pearl

I put 2 coats of the base down and now I am filling it with pearl, 1 coat down and no shine yet, slow and steady

Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Unhappy

well I have to say that I am disappointed with the way it is coming out, I decided to bring it to a painter and see if he can spray the touch up, paint and blend it in, it doesn't really match great.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM
FXDC Black Ice
3rd Gear
Default Where to buy HD Touch-up Paint

Hi All:

A great ride this weekend was slightly spoiled when I backed into a boulder hiding behind some weeds and managed to put a slight scrape on the bottom edge of the right side of my rear fender. Since it's so small an area, I thought I'd take a shot at a simple touch-up. From reading these posts, it looks like I may be in for more then I bargained for, even for a small job.

Nonetheless, I want to try but haven't found Black Ice Pearl on colorrite or any of the other paint sites. Please, if someone will advise where to find the required components and the part/stock numbers. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

HD pn#98601DFA is the black ice pearl top coat touch up paint. If you need the base coat, it is vivid black 98601DH

Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

If its a big scratch you are not going to like the results much, hd sells the touch up as a 3 piece set, the clearcoat is what makes the black purple, I had better results with the clear over the blue....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Ice Pearl touch up paint