Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! A small screw MIGHT have fallen into the oil filler hole on my 2010 FLHX Glide

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Wildtimer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! A small screw MIGHT have fallen into the oil filler hole on my 2010 FLHX Glide

Okay, so I'm no certified HD mechanic, but I've routinely changed oil in my various HD scoots over the years with no problem. Just when I thought it couldn't happen to me...my nerves are now put to the test. I'd really any advise from HD experts in this forum. So here's my story...

I just returned from Sturgis and one hell of a rain storm. Always change fluids after long rides. Proceeded to change the oil. Figured I'd also reset the mode values for my V&H Fuel Pak at the recommendation of their factory rep on site in Sturgis. Fuel Pak sits directly on top of the Electronic Control Module and under seat.

So, seat was removed. Engine oil was drained. Had a 1 quart bottle of oil emptying into oil filler hole. Had removed the four tiny screws that hold the Fuel Pak cover in place (about 1/2 inch long with about 1/8 inch head). So you know where this is going...

Three screws in my hand and one screw started. Dropped one of the three screws out of my left hand. Didn't see where it fell. Have looked all over and cannot find. So here is my delimma...

Could that tiny screw really have fallen all the way down and past the ECU, the frame, several wires and hoses to land perfectly on the oil filler hole ridge on the back side of the quart of oil...falling into the oil when I pulled the empty oil bottle out???? In my mind I am thinking NO WAY!!! It would seem I would have a greater chance of being struck by lightning or winning the PowerBall. BUT...

The problem is, I couldn't see or get my hand behind the back side of the quart of oil to see or feel if the screw was in fact sitting there. So, since I cannot find the screw, I am left to wonder if the screw fell into the oil fill hole or if it is sitting in some crevie somewhere unseen on the bike or floor. Again, I didn't see where it dropped or even hear where it might have dropped.

I stuck magnet down the filler hole...nothing. Drained the oil and stuck a magnet up the drain hole on the bottom of the pan...nothing. Not sure what else I can do, aside from spending a fortune to have the motor pulled, to confirm whether or not the screw fell into this engine??? I started and rode the bike...didn't seem to have any problems. Good oil pressure. So here are my questions...

Questions:
1. Does it even matter if the screw fell into the oil pan?
2. Any other advise on how to confirm if the screw is/isn't in there?
3. Will a small screw in the oil pan hurt the engine? The only thing in that pan would be the oil pump, correct?
4. Doesn't the oil pump have a mesh screen protecting debris from entering the vital engine components? I assume over time if that screen get clogged it could reduce oil pressure.
5. What type of estimated $$ am I looking at to have the HD dealer investigate?

Sorry for the long post. I think I am afraid to hear the responses.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

sucks to be ADD/ADHD don't it?? I would of completed one task, then moved on to another....but I digress.

It could've gone into the hole, rattle the wires around abit to near where it fell....with luck, it may shake loose. If not, put some oil in the motor, lean the bike over several times back and forth, and drain, hopefully the drain plug magnet will catch it....

If not, without finding the screw.....ya got problems.....yes....thats not good, having a screw floating around in there.....it'll do wonders to the crank..

Good luck, hope ya find it...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

The odds are small that's inside, you have to ask yourself the question, "Do you feel lucky or not?" I don't know what I would do but I'm pretty sure I would fire it up after looking everywhere for the screw after all everyone should be lucky sooner or later.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Never taken a twin cam oil pick up apart but every oil pick up I have ever seen has had a screen on it. Maybe one of the guys that regularly disassemble these things will confirm this.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

I would certainly shake every wire and explore every crevice before assuming the worst. It could also have vibrated out on the road after you rode it. Very small chance it worked its way down and dropped in, but anything is possible.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of those little screws ending up in the crank-case won't be a problem. Any sort of gear encounter will chew one of those screws real easy.

Like already said, check your magnet in a couple of thousand miles.

My bet is that the little screw is still hiding in a crack or in a wire harness somewhere, but not in your oil.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Since I have a SG and a Fuel Pak, I know where it should be mounted on top of the ECM, which should be close to the frame on the shifter side of the bike.

Considering where the oil fill hole is on the brake side of the bike and the slant that it's on, I highly doubt it could have fallen in but anything is possible.

Those screws are black and tiny....It could be anywhere....

Have you checked the ground under and around the bike with a fine tooth comb? Lay a white sheet down under the bike and if you have an air hose handy, use a blow gun with low pressure and start blowing air into the crevices and cavities of the engine area. JUST MAKE SURE THE OIL FILLER CAP IS ON FIRST.......

Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Ouroboros
Cruiser

Run a magnet on one of those extended deal like an old antenna. Might even find some stuff from the factory. Yes I would be concerned.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try the magnet again, then I'd put 1/4 quart of oil in it and lean it to the right while draining, hoping that if it is in there, you could get it to move closer to the oil fill. I'd then check with a magnet again, then repeat all the above steps once or twice more, since oil is cheap. After that, if nothing was found, I'd call it good and hope for the best.

I'd be far more concerned if you had an open funnel in place; since you had a quart bottle there, sure seems unlikely (not impossible though) that it fell in when you pulled the bottle out.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-23-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I WOULD FIND THAT SCREW, I bet its still on the bike someplace, i would be all over that bike, and all around that bike with a flashlight and magnet..i doubt it went into the filler whole, but by God i have has some crazy chit happen to me. I would notmove that bike one inch until i recovered that screw from where ever it cameto rest, it did not just vanish...but thats just me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! A small screw MIGHT have fallen into the oil filler hole on my 2010 FLHX Glide