Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default fork oil change question

I've read the DIY section and have a question. The bike is a 98 Road King and do you need to pump the forks to evacuate the old oil? I removed a screw and oil only dribbled out. What weight does Harley recommend?

Thanks, Richard

Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: fork oil change question

Remove the screw and pump the front end up and downthe oil should squirt out.

I use SE Heavy in my Road King and then put no air in the forks.

You do know that you can suck the new oil in with a vacuum and a couple of pieces of hose, don't you?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Not to hijack anyones thread, but on the FLHT's you have to disassemble the left fork. Is this hard to do? The manual talks of compressing tools, etc. I understand the right one just requires taking off the top cap and pulling the plug on the bottom, drain and add 11.1 oz and that one is good to go. Also says to use HD Type E, or should I use heavier? Enlighten me please, can a monkey like me do it?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

Remove the screw and pump the front end up and downthe oil should squirt out.

I use SE Heavy in my Road King and then put no air in the forks.

You do know that you can suck the new oil in with a vacuum and a couple of pieces of hose, don't you?
Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to try 15wt and see where I end up. I've been told that 13 oz. is the amount per leg.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ssls6

I've read the DIY section and have a question. The bike is a 98 Road King and do you need to pump the forks to evacuate the old oil? I removed a screw and oil only dribbled out. What weight does Harley recommend?

Thanks, Richard
Always ride the bike a bit to agitate the sediment in the forks first before draining. If you have an air assist on the front end, remove the valve core and then the drain screw and it will come right out. You can use vacuum to pull the new oil in the forks with an attachment to the air fill if you have it.
Without the vacuum or air assist you have to remove the tins to get at the fill cap which should be removed to aid in the draining.

The stock weight is 5 weight but you can increase it to 10-15 or 20 depending on how much you want to increase the front end control. B oil is a good choice if you don't want it too stiff.

Type E 5wt
Type B 10wt
Screamin’ Eagle Performance 15 wt
Screamin’ Eagle Racing Fork Oil 20wt

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Brad223
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to thank you all for the awesome advise.The job took about an hour. I was wondering about using the vacuum pump, and where to hook it up. Once I figured it out, the job went real fast. Thanks again to all that contribute time tested methods to those of us that are new to these awesome machines.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawg
Not to hijack anyones thread, but on the FLHT's you have to disassemble the left fork. Is this hard to do? The manual talks of compressing tools, etc. I understand the right one just requires taking off the top cap and pulling the plug on the bottom, drain and add 11.1 oz and that one is good to go. Also says to use HD Type E, or should I use heavier? Enlighten me please, can a monkey like me do it?
Man, the good ol days when dawg had to ask for help