Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping after dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Decel popping after dyno tune

I paid my dealer a lot of money to do a dyno tune and it seems that the biggest change is that I now have a lot of decel popping.

With the throttle closed (or at least the hand control in that position - I realize that the trottle body may not be) I get exhaust pops. The tech claims it is "reverb".

Frankly I think he;s blowing smoke or simply doesn't know what he's doing.

Thoughts?

(Set up SE 255, V&H Power Duals, 103 (Limited), Fatshotz slip ons, SEST)

Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM
DaKingMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same problem with almost the same setup. I took it back to the dealer who did the dyno tune and they made a change resulting almost not popping or backfiring but now at 2000 rpm it misses, hesitates and pops when I start to roll on the throttle.
I am taking it back to the dealer on Thursday and will let you know what they say--I think they may be blowing smoke as well!!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks DKM - my guess is it's too lean. We'll see. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davessworks
I paid my dealer a lot of money to do a dyno tune and it seems that the biggest change is that I now have a lot of decel popping.

With the throttle closed (or at least the hand control in that position - I realize that the trottle body may not be) I get exhaust pops. The tech claims it is "reverb".

Thoughts?

pretty easy fix if the tuner knows his way around the SEST
Deceleration Enleanment,VE,AND AFR tables. might come out with just a little decel adj. or it could take a combination of two or all three tables.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the problem with going to dealers for a dyno tune................they don't know $hit. They charge top dollar for the work, but do a half-a$$ job by only doing WOT runs for peak numbers on paper.

Steve

Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Duggr
Cruiser

I had the same problem, bike went in for tune before I owned it, came out with a decel pop, only way to get rid of it was to crack the throttle ever so slightly. Owner had several bikes and kind of quit driving it. I took it back after I bought it, Tech blamed tru duels, I got quieter baffles, still did it, Tech blamed harley tuner that bike had, told me it didn't have enough low end adjustment, for $800 I could get new one installed and mapped. Every time I mentioned that it didn't pop before he tuned it he would give me a blank starr or and angry 'it's always the tuner's fault'. Talked to another dealership about it, Tech agreed to look at it, bike had the wrong base map in it, went from 79 to 83 hp, increased mileage to mid 40's, motor is happy, so am I.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks

Thoughts?

This is the reason why I'll never install something that forces me to go see a dealer to tune my bike and puts me at the mercy of a lousy one. I have a PCV and I fixed the slight decel popping myself by increasing the fuel mixture at 0% throttle. Popping is gone. Took me 5mn on my laptop and cost me nothing.
Hope you find a good tuner.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 269 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
pretty easy fix if the tuner knows his way around the SEST
Deceleration Enleanment,VE,AND AFR tables. might come out with just a little decel adj. or it could take a combination of two or all three tables.
Have to agree with Jim. I haven't had one yet that the pop can't be tuned out.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either too much fuel at zero throttle position, or not enough.

Unburnt fuel is igniting. Either take away some of that fuel, or drown it out with more fuel. Wide open pipes make it harder to accomplish, but it's doable on most pipes.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

it's a little diff then just adding fuel at 0% throttle (on this bike)
while that would work on a earlier model bike. OP'er has 2010,or I assume it is because he stated "limited" so there is no 0% throttle position in the ve table. other ways to get it though. just have to work at it a little.

Quick Reply: Decel popping after dyno tune