Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable batwing fairing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default detachable batwing fairing question

I'm considering one of those aftermarket, detachable batwing fairings, and I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with them. Currently, my RK has the detachable windshield, and I love the option of taking it off if I want. The detachable batwings seem like a much better choice for highway travel, and it would be nice to pop one on if I'm planning on a longer trip.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I've never had a bike with a fairing that big, and I'm curious to know how it effects the driving, or how nicer it would make the roadtrips. Is it worth the $1,000 - $1,500 they seem to cost?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

it will take a little getting used to but once u do it will rarely come off,probably just for the yearly cleaning.cant say wether or not it would be worth the money for u.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Dead Center Cycles one, and I really enjoy it, it was worth the money. If you add lowers (soft lowers are good) and a big windshield, you can have very good protection fron rain and cold. When its really cold, use one of these windshields:
http://www.customflhtwindshields.net...gallery1-6.jpg
Turbulence and crosswinds do affect the batwing more than the windshield, but I found out that adjusting the Freedom Wings
http://www.fastaire.com/Freedom-Wings.html
really has an effect on that, as well as ventilation. The things really work.
Don't get too wrapped around the axle on the radio either. Buy it with the mounting bracket (they are marine) and buy a radio that has built in controls for iPod, USB, etc, Sony and Pioneer have some good ones, though I prefer Sony.
The Sony Marine Commander wired remote works really good, sorting out folders and files in my USB or iPod.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 10-04-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 PM
SFORAFF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im lovin my Dead Center Fairing, you do get the speed wobbles at 90Mph+ yet... its a good reminder to slow down.
I also have a Arc mini amp and my 120Gig Ipod inside the fairing,dont need anything ells.

Last edited by SFORAFF; 10-03-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 AM
2002FLSTFBAGGER
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 on the wabble. I had a quadzilla on my fatboy. Any speed over 70MPH the bike would start to wobble. I also notice they sit higher than a factory batwing so I had a hard time looking over it even with a short winshield. I guess if you have a clear winshield or are taller than me (5'7") you should be fine. Again, the speed wobble defeated the highway purposes of having a batwing for long rides. This is just my experience...
DIESEL

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

A friend has the Hoppe Quadzilla on his RK. Hasn't had it off in the 2 years he's had it.
He's been over 100mph and it doesn't wobble.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM
dredy2g
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Hoppe (Quadzilla) and I love it. I really haven't noticed a wobble but I don't run 90 + mph you'll love the tunes, I installed a Alpine head unit with an ipod setup and upgraded my speaker system...I don't think I could ride another without a fairing. Just do ur homework there are several available. Good luck

Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 AM
2002FLSTFBAGGER
Advanced

I am sure the effects of wobble with a fairing has to do with the bike, installation, bars, etc. I wasn't happy with mine due to the wobble but I also had a 21" front wheel and 16" apes so every bike is diferent...

Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
2002FLSTFBAGGER
Advanced
Default Quadzilla

Looks good and great sound system but I hated the wobble so it had to go...

Attached Thumbnails detachable batwing fairing question-0409091546a.jpg   detachable batwing fairing question-0417091554a.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Love it or hate it, huh?

Now I'm even more apprehensive about spending that much on it. I notice that the regular detachable windshield catches a lot of air & makes the bike a bit more screwy... I'm thinking that batwing would be much worse.

I'm going to ride my friend's Streetglide & see if I like that style fairing. Hopefully it would ride similar to the RK with the detachable batwing.

Quick Reply: detachable batwing fairing question