Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of lean running??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I have the stock headers with catalytic convertor still in place. I also have the Harley Davidson stage 1 ecm download that most say is no good but in mine it is great.

thank you, i don't plan on doing any more the this, so it should work for me

Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtyduck
This is one of the more logical tests I've read. He measured the A/F ratio under actual on-road load, not on some inertia dyno @ WOT. And he (BLUSMBL) also did the OE setup as a base line. Nice going!!!
Honestly, I'm probably still going to get the stage 1 ECU download, as it'll fix the mild popping/leanness on decel, and the rev limit will be higher. But it runs similar to stock, as it does with the slipons and air cleaner- with the added bonus of being noticeably stronger. I do still have the catalyst, though. If you do a full exhaust my observations don't hold water anymore, or if you don't like how the bike runs in completely stock form. Most people don't.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
azmeeks
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused New User

So what is being said is that the ECM can not adjust? How will the FL-XIED's work if the ECM can not adjust the air/fuel ratio? If the ECM sticks to the programmed map and upgrades will change your mixture the FL-XIED's will do no good if they rely on the ECM to make a change. I would go with a whole new ECM that can auto tune and noting else if the statements are true. The fuel pak should not work either because it is designed to trick the ECM also but the ECM can not adjust? My own opinion is if the add ons work the ECM will also work but keep at the factory specs. Can an expert clarify please, I need a better under standing.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:07 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best course of action is to put the bike on a dyno.

The Harley downloads are designed to allow your closed loop EFI ecu to run between certain parameters. Running like this is a compromise between the best for the engine and emission regs, but won't hurt the engine, otherwise engines would be going bang all over the world, and Harley wouldn't keep up with the claims.

If you can afford to put the bike on a dyno, and know a good tuner then do that, otherwise just get a stage one download, or similar aftermarket tuning device, or keep the bike stock.