Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trannys and Gear Lube

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Trannys and Gear Lube

My tranny is a little noisy on my new RKC. After talking direct with Motor Co. it is a normal characteristic of some trannys, but they gave me a case# anyway.
Talked to dealer's head tech about possibly running Amsoil 75-110 and he advised against it. He said he's had HD reps come down for tranny problems and denied warranty because of fluids other than HD. He also advised to stay away from SYN3 in any hole and stick with FOrmula+ in tranny and primary.
I know that you can run whatever motor oil you choose (Magnussen-Fergusson), so is he bullshitting me or does he have a point? I wouldn't want to blow my 5yr warranty. Don't they have to prove the changes you made were directly responsible for the failure?

Last edited by FDHOG; 10-19-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe HD can void your warranty for using another brand of oil - it's illegal. I have run Amsoil 75-110 Severe Gear before and it IS quieter (mainly in 5th) The last two trans changes I went back to Syn3 for convernience.

I bought a qt of 75-110 recenty and plan to go back to it.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcal124
Don't they have to prove the changes you made were directly responsible for the failure?
Yes, you are correct. They have to prove it to deny a warranty claim. If you look around on here a while you'll find that there are a million different opinions about what to run in the tranny. What it boils down to is, it's nothing more than a box full of gears, shafts and bearings. All metal against metal just like any manual transmission. That's what gear oil is designed for so the only thing you really have to consider is what weight oil to run. Colder climates need a lower viscosity, hotter climates need a higher viscosity so it depends on where you live and ride most of the time. A good medium weight would be the 75W90 but if you don't ride much in cold temps you could easily run 75W140 and it would make it run smoother and quieter. As for as what the MOCO or the dealer guy told you. They sell that oil so that's what they want you to buy.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

As long as the lubricant you use meets the specifications legally you should be OK, but you may have a little hassle getting them to pay if it fails. How bad is the noise, how many miles? What were you using?
Mine was noisier than I liked for the first 6-700 miles, then quieted down some. I switched to SYN3 at the 1000 mile (on the dealers recommendation). The noise was back so I changed it to Formula+ after about 500 miles. Been fine since.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at Resline vtwin tranny fluid. I used Syn3 then Belray gear oil now Redline it seemss to be the thickest of any of them and the bike never shifted smoother and there is very little tranny noise

Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Syn3, amsoil, the HD Formula stuff and I am now using Spectro 6 speed gear lube it has been the best so far.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of dealers that carry non-harley fluids because they know there is better stuff than what Harley wants to sell. Any good gear oil exceeds manufacturer specifications. You'd never dump engine oil in your cage's tranny, don't do it to your bike. Formula+ is good but Redline or Spectro are way better.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
As long as the lubricant you use meets the specifications legally you should be OK, but you may have a little hassle getting them to pay if it fails. How bad is the noise, how many miles? What were you using?
Mine was noisier than I liked for the first 6-700 miles, then quieted down some. I switched to SYN3 at the 1000 mile (on the dealers recommendation). The noise was back so I changed it to Formula+ after about 500 miles. Been fine since.

Brand New. 450 miles. It has Formula+ in the crankcase right now.
Hopefully it's like yours and quiets down. Should also get better after a Dyno tune, but that's after 1500-2000 miles.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the rest of you, but the subject - Tranny's and Gear Lube cracks me up.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TickTock
I don't know about the rest of you, but the subject - Tranny's and Gear Lube cracks me up.

Get your mind out of the gutter

Quick Reply: Trannys and Gear Lube