Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding after back surgery

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
bbach
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts to the OP: I think you will do fine riding. The only caution I would give you is to give your back some time to heal before pushing it. No sense heading right back into the operating room.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:27 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did the same with my knee replacement, after a month of rehab and laying around icing, just had to get back on. It's been 4 months now and I'm full bore again

Old 06-14-2018, 08:34 AM
bettyboop8192011@gmail.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rideing after back surgery

About 2 months ago had rods and screws put on spine 6 hr surgery they took off part of spine and was wondering if anyone has road there harley and if you had much pain haven't asked doctor if and when I could get back on the saddle I'm still in alot of pain in lower back not as bad as before the surgery but I also need a hip replacement as well and have pain in right leg I have a Sportster 883 low ride and just trying to feel out what other people have endured in my situation

Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Please dont rush it! The better it heals over the next few months, the less pain overall when finally back in the saddle riding again. I crushed my t12 and L1 vertabrae when i was 18 in an auto accident. Im 27 now and its only going to get worse as time goes on. It sucks trying to find a bike that is comfortable and doesnt jar the spine. I can still ride my dyna on short trips but had to switch over to a 800 tiger xcx.

The suspension has around 8 inches of travel with full adjustability(compression and rebound dampening) and the seating position is perfect for not aggravating spine pain. The seat height is actually adjustable up and down an inch to make it more comfortable as i can switch the seat height on the road if my sciatica gets bad. The most important thing for back pain when riding is weight. The heavier the bike the more you will feel it during slow speed stuff and twisties. Wider handlebars can help here by making the bike feel a bit lighter.

i wish you the best and hope your back feels better soon.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default May be kind of soon

Every one heals differently, age, overall health and other factors. I have a 4 level spinal fusion from the pelvis up. All the years of carrying heavy people up and down stairs, Paramedic/Firefighter. Mine was done when I was 50. It took me 12 weeks to get back to work in the dispatch center and a year before the surgeon gave me the blessing to ride horses, motorcycle, or shoot a high power rifle. I was not happy waiting but an glad I did what he said. I spent over 12 more years carting people with no major problems. I can do anything I could before. No lecturing here, smoking is a huge problem for the fusion. I just had to enjoy my bourbon without a cigar for the same time. Like I said we all heal differently. Was no fun for a while but I am really glad now I did what I was told. No set backs, and no more surgery because I screwed up. I do love my adjustable backrest.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,079 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I had a complete hip replacement on my right side two months ago after a bad fall and there's no way I can ride any of my bikes....it's frustrating to see the bikes just sittin' in the garage, but I know I'll eventually be out riding again.

I know everyone heals differently and depending on age as well as being fit prior to the surgery has a lot to do the healing process.

Last edited by SBRob; 06-14-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Sorry, didn't notice this thread was from 8 years ago.........lol
Old 06-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

Yep...
Give yourself plenty of time. I just learned today after X-rays, I have a degenerative bone condition which is affecting like 3 different vertebrates in my lower back. I have difficulty even walking right now and it’s been two weeks. I’m by the book on meds, and my older brother has had a back surgery already told me he’d “beat my ***” if I didn’t follow orders.

I’ll take his and and others advice on the board and take it slow (doc says maybe 8 more weeks to get back into the “green zone”). It’s been sunny and in the 80’s for two weeks and I’m just looking out the windows.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:07 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

L4 , L5 , S1 thats what i have had it will take time get a good seat & back rest and don’t push it all will be good , the surgery limits my distance

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
oasis856
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rode ? Happy to hear.

Now, park the bike & allow your body to heal.
GIVE your body time to get stronger.
I don't know where you are, but I'll meet & buy lunch after you heal at least 90 percent. There comes a time when respecting your body is a wise thing.
I can't be a fool all my life,,,,join me....please.
no hard feeling....much love to you Brother

Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhite15
it has been 16 days since i had back surgery [ i had 2 fusions in lower back ]i finally got on my 07 ultra and rode around a little while, i think it was some good med's ,felt good to ride again. may not do long ride for a while but i was born to ride and hope i never get where i can't ride.
OP, Suprised you are not in a brace post surgery to keep you from bending or twisting to damage your fusions. My wife is facing the same surgery and will be in a brace for 6 months. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: riding after back surgery