Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S. E. Heads - Some many to choose - How do I know which to get????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:09 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S. E. Heads - Some many to choose - How do I know which to get????

Okay, Hope I am not [sm=deadhorse.gif]

I want to put a set of S.E. Heads on my '06 street glide. I want to do a 95 inch build, cams and make about 100 HP. I'm thinking of andrews 26G cams, but have no clue as to which heads to get. I want to stay at or about 9.5:1 compression so that I can run pump gas.

Since My bike is an '06, do I need to get another intake manifold or adapter?

My understanding is that if I go the HTCC route, then I need to buy the special pistons, and etc that are for HTCC heads only. I am not sure if this is the way to go.

Sometimes I see bikes with heads that say "CNC Ported", and being a CNC Manufacturing Manager, I understand what is done to the head, but how are these to build with, make good power? Need special pistions?

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I also see so many different p/n for Screamin eagle heads! How do I make heads or tales? (16952-99C, 16925-02B - htcc, 16952-99B, 16933-99B, 16934-02B - CNC Ported).

Can some one give me an idea on what combinations they used?

Thanks,

Denis

Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,791 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Default RE: S. E. Heads - Some many to choose - How do I know which to get????

I have been in your spot...I went with the S.E. Performance heads.....I sold them....save your money and have your stock heads ported and larger valves installed, they will make more power than the S.E. heads and will handle any future mods.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.hdhammerheads.com/ check it out..............

Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser

Denis,

SE performance heads. According to those that know, the HTCC are a little more difficult to work with. You won't want to use the Andrews 26 with the SE heads though. CR with flat tops is 10:1 and the 26 likes about 9.4:1. With the higher compression, you will want to use a cam with a latter closing intake or it can get real hard on the starter and it would ping pretty bad. S&S 570, Woods TW-5G, Headquarters 575, Wild Things TC-26G would all fit the bill. Run on pump gas as well as get you along the way to the 100 hp you desire. Just remember, the key to getting the most out of your build is matching the right components. If you don't it can be a disaster.

SB

Old 09-17-2006, 10:51 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.hdhammerheads.com/ check it out..............

Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Seminole and Jeep said is 100% accurate.

Matching your components is the most important thing. The Andrews 26's are great cams for baggers. The lilelihood of getting 100hp with them is slim to none. Why do you think you need a 100hp build? It's nice to "talk about", but if you want to feel it you need to focus on torque numbers. The TW26's or 26G's can get you real close to 100ft/lbs of torque without spending a ton of $$$. Furthermore, it will give you a very ridable and reliable bike.

Having said that, none of the S/E heads are a good match for these cams ~ due to the incresaed CR associated with them. (If I "had to have" S/E heads, it would be the Performance heads, NOT HTCC)

Generally speaking, reliability is inversly proportional to performance. I'm sure many will dispute that, but I did say generally.....

The first qusetion I'd ask you is "how do you ride the bike" and what are your specific goal (NOT numbers)?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:12 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: PhilM

What Seminole and Jeep said is 100% accurate.

Matching your components is the most important thing. The Andrews 26's are great cams for baggers. The lilelihood of getting 100hp with them is slim to none. Why do you think you need a 100hp build? It's nice to "talk about", but if you want to feel it you need to focus on torque numbers. The TW26's or 26G's can get you real close to 100ft/lbs of torque without spending a ton of $$$. Furthermore, it will give you a very ridable and reliable bike.

Generally speaking, reliability is inversly proportional to performance. I'm sure many will dispute that, but I did say generally.....

The first qusetion I'd ask you is "how do you ride the bike" and what are your specific goal (NOT numbers)?
PhilM:

I am aware that matching is key, which was the basis for my original question -- I want to get it right, and I ask those who have the experience. Why do I think I need 100 HP? Because I rode a couple of bikes that were around that mark, 100 HP and 100+/- TQ, a Titan was one of them. I loved the power and it was fun. I know that having a flat torque curve is favorable. I buillt a SBC 406 for my Chevy II that made the same HP as my 355, but had over 110 LBS/TQ more and put the car down the quater in just over 11 seconds.

Do I want to drag race my bagger? No. But I do want to launch and have a hard pulling bike now and again. Something that will put a smile when I get on it.

I guess my goal would be summed up in saying, a flat torque curve and a hard pulling acceleration, 30% of the time that I ride.

Judging by your previous posts, I do have a respect for you and what you've done to your ride. I thank you for advising me as well.

I look forward to hearing what more you may have to add.

You also stated that if there was a SE Head that you "had to have" that it would be the performance ones - Which ones are they???

Thanks,

Denis

Old 09-17-2006, 11:22 PM
103FLHX
Road Master

If you want Harley Screaming Eagle products, look in the SE catalog. They have TQ/HP curves for most configurations. They list all components required for that build. I found it very useful. Th new '07 catalog is now online. If can read & understand what you want from a TQ/HP graph, this will answer many questions. Once you start mixing parts, the validity of the curves goes. ie. using Andrews cams with SE heads, etc.

For various reasons, I used mostly SE parts & found this useful.

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 09-17-2006, 11:31 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that the S&S powered mosters (Titan, Ironhorse, Indian, etc...) are really fun to ride and WILL pull like a MF! It would take a really strong bagger to get ya that sensation....

I too, wanted to get that 100/100 so I really can relate. At this point, reliability is more important to me than bertha #'s... but I do have to have a bike the runs good too! My first iteration of my current RG used Andrews 37G's, BigBoyz heads setup for 9.7:1 CR. It ran REALLY good and was 100/100. However, when I got away from home where 93 octane fuel was scarce, I had a detination issue.

I have since rebuilt it with Andrews 26G, BigBoyz heads setup for 9.25:1 CR and it's not something like 93/94... It still runs good and pulls really hard, but I can tell a different in performance from the 37 build.

There has been a lot of talk regarding the Kuryakyn cams (2G, 26,G) and what they are capable of. In fact, I have called and talked to Kuryakyn about them. They say that you can safely build a higher compression motor without need for compression releases or risking destruction of your starter clutch. Jeepster has some, but I have not heard anyone else discuss their experience. They are also intriguing.

With your smallblock experience, it's a cinch you understand all the fundementals and value of using components that compliment one another... I hope I did not come across wrong on my 1st reply....

Old 09-17-2006, 11:36 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: PhilM

I hope I did not come across wrong on my 1st reply....
NOT AT ALL!!!!

I just want to get the facts straight before I lay out the cash for this stuff.

Thanks for your input.

I look forward to hearing more from you in the future too!

Quick Reply: S. E. Heads - Some many to choose - How do I know which to get????