Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Exhaust Actuator Valve (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/57483-exhaust-actuator-valve.html)

ndotken 09-17-2006 10:43 PM

Exhaust Actuator Valve

I just read in the 2007 HD University Technical Forum that the HDI "Active Exhaust" includes an actuator valve the closes during higher engine loads to "meet noise regulations." I assume that means that the exhaust is closed during acceleration or going up a hill or any other time of "higher engine loads." Closing off the exhaust???!! No wonder my new '07 RKC runs hot as _ _ _ _. Anyone know how to get rid of that thing?

bountyhunter 09-17-2006 10:51 PM

RE: Exhaust Actuator Valve

Get a sawzall and cut off the stock exhaust system. Put it all in a box and toss it in the closest dumpster. How easy is that!

ndotken 09-17-2006 11:09 PM

That's a pretty easy answer.

Unfortunately, I want to keep my warranty in place because I have brand new bike that is running way too lean ... and way too hot ... and has a spur primary running gear that is making one helluva racket ... which probably means there is alot of friction going on in the gearbox.

High friction and high temperatures are usually a prescription for a breakdown, which means I'm gonna need that warranty.

Mick 09-17-2006 11:25 PM

Hey Ndot , I'm wondering if Harley grabbed a great idea from Buell in that the "Buell interactive exhaust" is used on the 1200 engines for Buells..
I had a 2004 Buell XB12S Lightning with the interactive exhaust , and it worked great!!!
When I was normally running the exhaust had more backpressure and gave great torque , when I hammered on it , the valve opened and gave the exhaust a free-er way out and decreased
the pressure for more acceleration.
This way you have a high torque and high horspower exhaust system on the same bike.
May be just what the doctor ordered for better performance from the factory.
You might just want to run the crap out of it while it's in warantee and see how it progresses.
Mick

ndotken 09-17-2006 11:40 PM

The way I read the HD document, the valve CLOSES during higher engine loads instead of opening, which is the OPPOSITE of what you're saying was done with the Buell. It says that the exhaust valve is closed to reduce engine noise during acceleration. I'm not an engineer, but to me closing off an exhaust system during times of higher engine load can't be a good thing. The exhaust gases have to go somewhere ... but where? Back into the cylinders? I hope someone can explain that one to me.

4DZTOY 09-17-2006 11:41 PM

I think the active exhaust is stock on international models....not USA....yet....maybe wrong on that...if so...someone will correct me!

pittguy 09-17-2006 11:47 PM

I believe you are right.

rastas 09-17-2006 11:58 PM

howdy.It is only on HDInternational models.It closes during higher loads whilst optimising power and abiding by noise restriction laws.I live in australia and am not happy with this developement at all.You can also buy a composite cable mount and cable(sold separately of course)to operate it manually i suppose.I suspect that this even stuffs around with the tuning as they will not sell me SERT #32107-01F because of compatability issues on 07 HD's and told us to wait for the 32107-01G version.Anyway i backordered some V&H big radius 2-1 pipes to eliminate this crap,just have to wait till they start selling them.

Shovelhead Bob 09-18-2006 12:54 AM

HDI - Harley Davidson INTERNATIONAL.........

This is why HD doesn't release the Technical forum literature to the General public.......

Some people just dont have a clue what certain things mean......

FWIW, Florida isn't yet part of the international marketl, but it could be pretty soon... Part Cuba, Niceragua, Guatemala, Mexico.... Oh wait.... Kalifornia has already been taken :D

ndotken 09-18-2006 01:02 AM

Thanks Bob. I feel much better now. At least now I know there is no reason for this brand new $20-freakin-thousand dollar bike to overheat and clatter like rocks in a can. This bike is a typical American-made piece of crap. I knew I should have bought a Honda.