Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage Rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 PM
rsofa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage Rack

I bought the rack for my Ultra's trunk and cut out the template I must be missing something doesn't make any sense to me
????? I see the centerline but none of the spots where there are marks for Holes line up with the rack I have which is the Prenium touring rack????
Just want to get it right only one shot with the drill!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Luggage Rack

The template is useless. Just put some making tape (the painters type blue) in the general area where the mounting bolts will go. then set the rack on the tourpak, push it up against the seat... let it back off just a bit.. use a pen to draw around the legs.. then drill in the center of the circles you have drawn..

Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

Thanks I thought it was just me!!!! That was what I thought I would do guess now I can get it done!!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
capt42a
Road Master

Good suggestion, just the method I used.
capt42a

ORIGINAL: Doug45601

The template is useless. Just put some making tape (the painters type blue) in the general area where the mounting bolts will go. then set the rack on the tourpak, push it up against the seat... let it back off just a bit.. use a pen to draw around the legs.. then drill in the center of the circles you have drawn..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 AM
stu07hd
Tourer

Here is what I did.
I used my regular drill bits, but puta piece of low adhesive painters masking tape (blue)where I was drilling and did not have any problems. I was a bit nervous about drilling on my new Ultra also so I feel your pain. I did drill one hole at a time and test fit the rack after each hole. I marked the holes with a sharpie on the tape and did not have any problems even though I was sweating the whole time. Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
rsofa
Road Captain

I know about the sweating I don't have a problem drilling the holes BUT you only get one chance to get it right!! Did you use silicone under the washers??
ORIGINAL: stu07hd

Here is what I did.
I used my regular drill bits, but puta piece of low adhesive painters masking tape (blue)where I was drilling and did not have any problems. I was a bit nervous about drilling on my new Ultra also so I feel your pain. I did drill one hole at a time and test fit the rack after each hole. I marked the holes with a sharpie on the tape and did not have any problems even though I was sweating the whole time. Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

measure twice drill once verrry carefully. Take your time you will be ok

Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 PM
stu07hd
Tourer

I did not use any silicone under the bolts. I thought about it but decided not to. I have had it on there since april and have not had any water make its way into the tour pack. I have ridden in downpours and washed it regularly and have not noticed any water get in. BTW, I did use loctite (blue) on the bolts. Don't forget that EVERYTHING can work loose over a period of time.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM
yepuhuh
Tourer

That's exactly how I did my '08. Then I used different bolts that the supplied ones. I went to Lowe's and got hex end caps that would fit and not stick out so much. Then I put in my Tour Pak lid organizer. Saddle bag lid organizers, Front air deflectors and my rear brake light mods that allow my blinkers to stay on all the time and act as blinkers.

Then I put the RJ'S original heat shields on......Now my inner thighs are not getting medium well on a ride!

And lastly, I bought a new helmet for me and my wife. We got the Kevlar Carbon helmets. Fits like a glove and is lite and can't hardly tell it is on. There are pricey however.....

Old 10-19-2007, 03:02 PM
TexasUltra
Cruiser

Yep, I had the same fear, drilling holes in my bike? Took me 3 months after I bought it to finally do it. Took one look at the template, and thru it in the trash. Followed the instructions and ideas here, and...BAM! So easy a caveman could do it. The only thing I added was to place the jack under it to level it out side to side while I eyeballed it. This forum is great, my only question now is How much does the stealership charge to install one?
ORIGINAL: rsofa

I bought the rack for my Ultra's trunk and cut out the template I must be missing something doesn't make any sense to me
????? I see the centerline but none of the spots where there are marks for Holes line up with the rack I have which is the Prenium touring rack????
Just want to get it right only one shot with the drill!

Quick Reply: Luggage Rack