Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition switch locked, but turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Milkman424m
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch locked, but turns

The other day I locked my switch. My bike doesn't have security. However, even locked the switch will turn to run and you can fire up the bike. Easily steal it even if you wanted. How do I fix this? Dealer didn't really have an answer. 2013 street glide.
Much thanks

Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

guessing that someone removed the ignition switch at some time and misaligned the cams for the ignition and locking mechanisms.

look at videos on youtube using a squashed piece of copper tubing for an alignment tool.
someone probably tried this on your bike using a screwdriver and oops.

I have had to pop by neighbor's houses with my piece of tubing a couple of times.

you'll likely have to pull the ignition switch and then work the cams into alignment.

OR- your bike was previously stolen...the locked switch can be busted into working with a big pair of visegrips, monkeywrench etc.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-28-2015 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
svelasquez (08-02-2023)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Just had to replace the switch on my 13 sg.
Did same thing, plus you could remove the switch without using the key.
Replaced under warranty 5 days before it expired.
Tom

Old 09-28-2015, 11:02 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 524 Likes on 363 Posts

No one here seems to be helpful or gives good answers all vague and crappy. There is a tit underneath your ignition switch. Press that and see if you can remove the switch by holding the tit and turning the switch by pulling it out and inserting it back in

Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
No one here seems to be helpful or gives good answers all vague and crappy. There is a tit underneath your ignition switch. Press that and see if you can remove the switch by holding the tit and turning the switch by pulling it out and inserting it back in
Ouch, I thought that mkguitar gave good advice. I had to do the exact same think to a buddies UC a couple months ago after he did his own bars. He didn't get the cams aligned properly.

Just as MK said, you can search youtube for the video on how to do it. Essentially, you get a piece of copper pipe, smash it flat and use that to realign the cams in the neck.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Milkman424m
The other day I locked my switch. My bike doesn't have security. However, even locked the switch will turn to run and you can fire up the bike. Easily steal it even if you wanted. How do I fix this? Dealer didn't really have an answer. 2013 street glide.
Much thanks
did you have the wheel turned fully left? does the switch go down before you turn the key to lock position?
as MK said it may not be assembled correctly

I must be the only one to use the shaft of the switch to re align the cogs one at a time.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
...No one here seems to be helpful or gives good answers all vague and crappy.....
here's why- RIDERS screw this up ALL the TIME.

( this one would be touring forum post number 523 on "my ignition switch doesn;t work anymore")

watching the video will help keep them from making a mistake.

so rather than give partial information...direct someone to where they can get a complete answer and see what is involved.

it could be alignment...it could be broken. looking at a video may help the OP see if his falls into one of these categories

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-29-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:08 AM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 66 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my 13 EGC. I had to order a new ignition switch. It came keyed the same as my bike. I just pulled my switch, dropped in the new one and everything worked again. The new one has a different looking chrome cover to it but it works fine.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:29 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

OP, try this:
. There's quite a few vids on how to R&R your switch.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 PM
BigShot64
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW

I had some *** try to steal my bike last week. Pair of pliers made my bike do the same thing as yours op. HD quoted me 110$ for the new part, keyed to my bike

Quick Reply: ignition switch locked, but turns