Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deutsch Crimp Tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
jukkinator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know of a autoparts or other type of chain store that carries one of the cheaper crimpers?

putting passing lamps on and found out that i need to make 8 crimps. When i have 1 to do, i usually use needle nose pliers, and it is a PITA, and you have to tweak each one to get it to fit nice in the connector. Want to do a nice job here, but can't find a tool except ordering online.

Last edited by jukkinator; 07-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Subscribed

Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I purchased this tool for around $265 from Ladd Indusries. It works perfect every time unless you do not know how to use it. Worth every penny. Would not wish to be someplace where a wire pulled out of a pin and left you walking but that is just me. Perfect work every time is worth the price of admission but that is just me.

HDT-48-00

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Here are the crimp tools referenced in my post above:

http://

The one on the left was purchased at Fry's Electronics for ~$8 (also at Radio Shack IIRC) and does an acceptable job though some crimps require some modest dressing.

The one on the right is from Sargent Tool (~$25 on Amazon) and, because of its articulated action, does a nice job--crimps require zero dressing.

I've probably done 200+ crimps on my bike and those of my buddies' installing a variety of Deutsch, AMP, Delphi, etc. quick disconnect plugs/receptacles and have not had a wire failure. The $200+ tools are nice, but these less expensive tools get the job done for this hobbyist.

Carl

Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I just went thru this last week when I put my detach kit on my 2011 RGU. I needed to crimp three wires with deutch connectors. I called Ladd industries 1-800 number and inquired about buying the tool and they said it was $144 for the crimpier I needed for the deutch connector I had to add to the detach kit. I told them I only had 3 wires to crimp and hated to spend $144 for a tool I might never need again. The salesman asked my address and I told him and he said they would send me a loaner free of charge and would even pay shipping. I could not believe it. They said send it back within 30 days and there would be no charge if they did not get it back in 30 days they would bill me. 5 days later the tool showed up on my step and I crimped the wires and sent it back. Outstanding. worked like a charm. I can not see how you could get the perfect crimps on deutch connectors using any other tool.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I purchased this tool for around $265 from Ladd Indusries. It works perfect every time unless you do not know how to use it. Worth every penny. Would not wish to be someplace where a wire pulled out of a pin and left you walking but that is just me. Perfect work every time is worth the price of admission but that is just me.

HDT-48-00

I have at least 3 pairs of this exact tool at the shop, I'd loan them to any one around here. Just leave something of value with me while you have them. Three hundred dollar bills would work. j/k

Yea, we do a lot of harness work

Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
Well I just went thru this last week when I put my detach kit on my 2011 RGU. I needed to crimp three wires with deutch connectors. I called Ladd industries 1-800 number and inquired about buying the tool and they said it was $144 for the crimpier I needed for the deutch connector I had to add to the detach kit. I told them I only had 3 wires to crimp and hated to spend $144 for a tool I might never need again. The salesman asked my address and I told him and he said they would send me a loaner free of charge and would even pay shipping. I could not believe it. They said send it back within 30 days and there would be no charge if they did not get it back in 30 days they would bill me. 5 days later the tool showed up on my step and I crimped the wires and sent it back. Outstanding. worked like a charm. I can not see how you could get the perfect crimps on deutch connectors using any other tool.
For $144 I'd pull the trigger.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpeters282
hollow pins and a soldering iron....no need for a crimp tool.

For a one of or two of job I would solder as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
For $144 I'd pull the trigger.
It is a nice tool but I doubt i will need it again and it was only a 5 day wait for the loaner so I will just borrow it again if needed. they pay shipping so I figure waiting was worth it. They are an excellent company to deal with for sure.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where I bought my Deutsch connectors at,.....you can rent the $300 tool for $25 a week.

Quick Reply: Deutsch Crimp Tool