Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come no one ever talks about roller rockers here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baisely suggested that I add the roller rockers to my build (103, 255, AC, Baisley superstock heads, AF, Supertrapp slippon, Powerduals) as it will run a bit smoother, maybe add an insignificant amount of tq, but mostly allow the heads to last longer.

I don't know of a downside other than cost. Some say they are noisey others say they are quieter.

I'll let you know my experience. Doing the heads next week....if I can find the bike in all this snow...

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 AM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running roller tipped rockers with Andrews 54H cams in 103. Runs fine. Can I tell a difference? Nope. Would I buy them again? Not sure. Am I going to take them out? No.
Would I tell you to buy them? Nah...Do I think they are decreasing sideloads on the valvestems? Time will tell.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Got 'em on my 103 as well. I had the thing built to last, cost wasn't really an issue, and if/when it gets blown out to a 117, the valvetrain will be ready for it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My White Lightning had crap raw aluminium rocker boxes, so when I replaced them with factory chrome units, I upgraded to Crane Cams roller rockers with needle bearing shafts. I thought bearings were an upgrade over bushings, and the roller tips could prevent sideloading the valve stems, resulting in longer valve guide life. I did this a long time ago so can't say if the valvetrain is more noisy. I picked up replacement roller tips at the time, so I'm not sure how long they will last on the street.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
There is a seperate forum for engine related techie-gee-whiz-bang valve stuff.

Just sayin....
Must really be irritating for you to take the time to read then repimand someone for asking a simple question in the wrong section.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run rollers. I don't think you really need them unless your exceeding .590 lift. There's no where the amount of deflection as the small block Chevy type ball type rocker. They're on shafts like old Mopars which had a pretty good stock drive train. The wear comes on the valve stem and stock rocker tip.
My rockers seem quiet compared to some others I've heard. I only really can hear a little noise on the decell

Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them in my 103 with andrews 21 cams. Less friction, less heat, less noise.longer valve stem and guide life plus I hope more horses. Dynoed 100hp and 98 torque on 87 octane fuel.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If they aren't required for the super high lift cam, all you have done is introduced another set of needle bearings to your assembly that is subject to a failure. The old stamped rockers are gonna do just fine on a mild build. Part of the purpose of running the valves between rounds in drag racing is to determine if there has been a failure of a roller lifter or rocker arm.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Because most of the people on here are riding twin cams and they are not necessary on them unless you are using an extremely high lift cam. Good for evo's though.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The valve train on this 124" is noisy (640 lift with S&S roller rockers, anti pump up lifters), but the pipes are louder than Hiroshima so you cant hear it very often. Sometimes when I ride next to a concrete divider all the valve noise bounces back and its really noticable (we ride on the left here so the valve train is on the same side as the dividing wall).

I agree that no one seems to be doing big builds and posting their progress any more, I have kinda tuned out to the forum as I have read all the stories about buffeting, how new bikes are too hot, pledge and stage 1 that I can handle.

Quick Reply: How come no one ever talks about roller rockers here?