Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Cam Gurus

Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default For the Cam Gurus

I've got a question about changing out the cams on an 08 SG. From what I've read, most expect the inner cam bearing should be changed with a cam change. I don't think any thing is expected to be done to the cam plate on the outer side of the cam.

My question is: "Is it really necessary to change the inner bearing?" I'm not that cheap that I don't want to do the job right, but when you think aobut it, why would the inner bearing need replacement when the outside of the cam doesn't even have a bearing and it's fine.

I've got 40K on the SG now and if I don't change the cams out, I wouldn't be worrying about the cam bearing failing. So is there a good reason to change out the bearing?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that bearing comes apart,your crankcase is history. Enough reason?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being the bearings are less than 20 bucks and i'm sure you can find someone on here to borrow/rent you the installer/remover tool. the outer bearings are bushing like bearings.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

I don't think anyone has suggested opening up the cam chest just to change innner cam bearings. However, if you are opening up the cam chest, it would be a good idea to replace the OEM INA inner cam bearings with a Torrington/Timken full compliment inner bearing. Check the link and I think you will understand why.

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=88

Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know of anyone who's done a cam job that hasn't replaced the inner-bearings, always with Torringtons, but you could probably re-use the stockers without any concern. I really don't think the stock INA bearings are an issue either per se, as I've heard of no cases of failures with properly installed bearings. But since Torringtons are only $15/pair the only obstacle to changing them is finding a tool to do the job. The Beatty tool is inexpensive (<$100) and you could always sell it when you finish the job.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Change them..absolutely, but do not worry about whether you get the Torrington/full complement or the INA/caged, doesn't matter on the later motors, 07 and later, with the bigger diameter(1" dia) bearings, heck Andrews doesn't even sell them(full comp) for the later TC's and they only sell the B-148 Torrington's(7/8" dia) for the early TC's. Anyone think they know more than Andrews?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

First of all, I'm no cam guru, just an old hot rodder. My opinion is this: It isn't necessary, but it is cheap insurance. Really cheap insurance. And that's why you would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to swap them out while you're in the cam chest.

Failures of the stock INAs are rare, but if they do, it's an expensive failure. There's guys with 100 thousand miles on the stock cams and bearings, so if you decide to forgo the bearing swap, the odds are that it won't cause you any problems. On the other hand, for about 20 bucks, you won't have to worry about it.

You don't need to buy an installation tool, you can borrow a blind spot puller from Auto Zone. You'll just need to leave them a deposit. I use the same tool, which can be purchased cheaply from Harbor Freight. I like it because it'll handle several different sizes of bearings.

Last edited by Mike; 11-23-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone once told me that the factory cam bearings did not have as many of the needle bearings in them. That is why people are going ahead and changing the bearings while everything is out. With that said I don't really know, but I can say this that I did replace mine with the torrington bearing.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You answered your own question. The outer part, where it goes into the cam plate doesn't have a bearing like the inner does. That's one more reason you need a stronger bearing on the inner part.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

The new SE innner bearings are Torringtons. $12 at local dealer after 20% off....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For the Cam Gurus