Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced Charity Ride Organizers Please Respond

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Experienced Charity Ride Organizers Please Respond

I know that this is probably not the best forum for this, but the "Events. Rides and Road Reports" forum doesn't seem to be visited very often.

I would like to organize a charity ride for a family that is in desperate need of help, but have ZERO experience in coordinating one. I know that you have to get insurance, coordinate with businesses, etc. If there is anyone with experience doing this, please give me some advice. If you live in the Northeast Florida area and could provide some hands on assistance it would be greatly appreciated and you can PM me for contact info and further details. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Join the American Motorcyclist Association. They have lots of experience sanctioning these events and they provide reasonably priced insurance too.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

The most successful charity rides I have went to always started and ended at the same bar. The owners knew how to draw a crowd and keep the non-riding ones there all day while we were on the ride.

They had good food and live entertainment the whole time. Everyone paid the same entry fee, the food and entertainment was provided by the bar. They made a killing on the drinks all day.

The day ended with an auction for all the stuff that had been donated by people and businesses. To me, that is always the hardest part. Getting enough people to go out and get the donations and store them until auction day.

These guys did the fundraisers so well that many of us spent our Sundays at their place for benefit auctions when we didn't even know the people we were there to help.

Good luck. Get hands on help from someone with experience if it is to succeed.

Dennis

Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you actually have zero experience, find somebody local who has experience and ask for their advice. Lining up stops and selling 50/50 tickets is the easy part. Do you have a release form for riders to sign? Who is going to solicit businesses face to face for door prizes/auction items? Planning to have food? If 3 other local charity runs get scheduled for the same day, what will make riders choose yours? What will you tell the family if nobody shows up?

That's a lot for somebody to learn as they go along. Not trying to scare you, just know what you're getting into.

Good luck!