Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
hunter93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory fuse keeps blowing

After taking a break from riding last week I go to start my bike and notice the red alarm light stays on. I pull over and find out that all electrical stopped working. After getting home I check fuses and the accessory fuse is blown. I replace it, start the engine and a big bang and a puff of smoke somewhere by battery area. I look and find nothing. Start the bike again and everything works fine. Ride for an hour everything OK. Park bike and today as I go to ride, no electrical again. heck and same accessory fuse is blown. What is going on? Have appointment for next week, but what can I check? How does a fuse get broken when the bike just sits there? Help.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Accessory fuse keeps blowing

check you batt connections...check your grounds...and look for melt down(sure sign where the short is)...intermittent can be hard to find but you already got smoke so look for where it came from and there's your prob...since its blowin the acc fuse, check that system good

Old 09-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Hue Jardon
Stage IV

Or just keep taking it in for warantee evaluation and let the tech chase it for months and it will turn into a new bike! It worked that way on my 05 ultra. Tech could not duplicate, motor co would not throw parts at it, =impass, threaten lemon law and poof, 07 ultra in my garage.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:03 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hue Jardon

Or just keep taking it in for warantee evaluation and let the tech chase it for months and it will turn into a new bike! It worked that way on my 05 ultra. Tech could not duplicate, motor co would not throw parts at it, =impass, threaten lemon law and poof, 07 ultra in my garage.
I'm not sure that was a good trade up.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:08 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

check you batt connections...check your grounds...and look for melt down(sure sign where the short is)...intermittent can be hard to find but you already got smoke so look for where it came from and there's your prob...since its blowin the acc fuse, check that system good
And always remember that smoke is what makes all electronics work like computers, and when the smoke gets out that's when they always quit working.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

And always remember that smoke is what makes all electronics work like computers, and when the smoke gets out that's when they always quit working.

NEVER let the smoke out

Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

The magic smoke is the bain of all electronics. Really though, at least the bike is under warranty, and you have a clues as to where the short is. Alot of stealers wouldn't even touch it, or charge you a bundle cause they'd have to do an exploratory on the bike with no guarantees of finding the issue...I have a friend having issues like that right now.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The accessory plug is near the battery. Maybe a wire going to it is pinched. Also, have you made any recent changes to the bike? Even stuff not electrical?