Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter MODS on my 09 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:44 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Winter MODS on my 09 Ultra

Believe it or not, it gets cold here in Atlanta GA. Today's temp was a frosty 14 degrees this morning, and the high for the day will get all the way up to 23. Needless to say, this is unusual for the sunbelt. So with this in mind, I think I will start my winter mods on the 09 Ultra. To start, I am going to V&H true duals, and adding a HD recommended race tuner. We are ditching the factory installed catalytic converter, which should reduce my dry weight by several pounds. I have heard anywhere from 40 to 50 lbs, but i am not sure if this claim is true. I have the tail gunner (rotary cannon) pipes on my rig (see my garage), but I am going to add a much bigger baffle. A trip to the dyno will make sure that everything is working propperly. The 09 Ultra comes standard with the TC 96. What differences in throttle response, horse power, and torque should I see?
Thanks, Dwayne

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock
Believe it or not, it gets cold here in Atlanta GA. Today's temp was a frosty 14 degrees this morning, and the high for the day will get all the way up to 23. Needless to say, this is unusual for the sunbelt. So with this in mind, I think I will start my winter mods on the 09 Ultra. To start, I am going to V&H true duals, and adding a HD recommended race tuner. We are ditching the factory installed catalytic converter, which should reduce my dry weight by several pounds. I have heard anywhere from 40 to 50 lbs, but i am not sure if this claim is true. I have the tail gunner (rotary cannon) pipes on my rig (see my garage), but I am going to add a much bigger baffle. A trip to the dyno will make sure that everything is working propperly. The 09 Ultra comes standard with the TC 96. What differences in throttle response, horse power, and torque should I see?
Thanks, Dwayne
honestly, i wouldnt put a HD race tuner on my bike if it was free. if you are looking into the Screamin Eagle race tuner, check out zippers performance, zippersperformance.com. THUNDERMAX EFI. i have two road kings, and i put one on both of them. love it. period. your decision though. wont need a dyno either, because it is ready to go, and tunes itself. drivability is improved as well, and you wont need the downloads from harley to bump up your rev limiter. plus, with the race tuner, every time you add a part (cam, big bore, etc) you have to go back to the dyno. with zippers, all you do is update your module, and ride it, and it tunes itself.....

one of my bikes does wheelies, the other does cross country trips, so, the zippers parts can do whatever you want it to. probably only pick up 10 or so HP, and 15 or so TQ. not gonna see big improvements until you do heads and cams. intake and exhaust FREE UP some power, but, not going to MAKE MORE power until you do the other stuff. $$$$$$$

just my couple pennies worth,
corb

Last edited by 2004vmc; 12-15-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

Forgive my ignorance, I was wrong about the EFI. The one to be installed is the TTS Master Tune. I understand this is a better fit for my current mods. Your ideas?
Thanks, Dwayne

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

Oh by the way, I already have the stage 1 installed, as well as andrews cams.
Dwayne

Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

...catalytic?
2009 49 State bikes didn't have....? Is yours a California bike?

true duals- not a fan, check with cam manufacturer for recommendations on stock headers, vs true duals, vs 2 into 1

Didn't you have tuning done when you went to stage 1 and cams?

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

No dyno done when I added the stage 1 because I did not change the pipe diameter or baffles etc. I am going to true duals with no cross over in the pipe. So to simplify, I am going to Vance and Hines headers (true duals) and the TTS Master tune. Since I already have the slip ons, all I have to do get a bigger baffle and dyno. Stage 1 is already done.
Dwayne

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have zero experience with the TTS Master Tune. i have only just recently heard of it. so i am no help on that one. until i see that one work though, i will still stand behind my zippers products as your best bet for tunability, ridability, and customer support.

but, if you already have cams, intake, exhaust and a download, you are as far as you can go, until you get better tuning (either the one you are getting, or a zippers, etc) and better flowing heads. and i would def not go true duals either. not on these fuelie bikes. the pipe might be bigger, and allow more exhaust and heat to escape, but, IMO, not going to gain a lot of power. true duals and drag pipes, and all of those were built around carb engines with single fire ignitions. because of heat differences in the front and rear jug, each cylinder had to be tunes individually to make the most efficient power. so, sharing pulses with the other exhaust header wasnt so much of a consideration back then. as was stated earlier, nowadays, with EFI, you will undoubtedly do better with a 2 into 1, or a system with a crossover. most (if not all....) of the big HP bikes and builds with EFI are sending out hot gasses through a 2 into 1 system.

again, not the expert, just my couple penny's worth,
corb