Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Road Salt Dilemma (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/591236-road-salt-dilemma.html)

jberg 12-15-2010 08:57 AM

Road Salt Dilemma

My new wheels are in and I have an appointment for free (promotion) installation this Friday. I had hoped to get it done before the roads were salted but I missed my opportunity. We had 1/4" of snow on Monday and the local morons dumped at least 1/2" of salt on the roads. I'm really bummed about having to drive over the salt (20 miles each way). Even after 4 days it will still be a significant factor on the road. I really hate getting that salt all over the bike with no effective way to wash it off completely.
Am I worrying too much?

big cahuna 12-15-2010 09:03 AM

How about renting a trailer and throwing a cover over it, and drag er home.,,

DuraGlide 12-15-2010 09:18 AM

No way would I put new wheels out in road salt. Any spot you miss cleaning will be a corroded mess by spring. Beg, borrow or steal an enclosed trailer.

bigalv63 12-15-2010 09:19 AM

Trailer the bike or have them deliver it to your house whichever is most convenient ..but don't ride it in the mush

riteway 12-15-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by DuraGlide (Post 7657948)
No way would I put new wheels out in road salt. Any spot you miss cleaning will be a corroded mess by spring. Beg, borrow or steal an enclosed trailer.

Exactly....don't risk it!!!....

FDHOG 12-15-2010 10:07 AM

No Way do you ride it. I destroyed a set of Fatboy wheels, a few years back, when I decided to ride it during the winter. Rent a trailer, or bite the bullet on the installation in the spring.
Other option. Take the wheels off and just bring the wheels in for a tire swap.

'05Train 12-15-2010 10:10 AM

Ride it and don't worry about it. I rode straight through last winter with salt on the roads the entire time. I might have washed it once on a warm day. Everything's fine. I'll do the same again this year.

Nabubba 12-15-2010 10:11 AM

U haul rents trailers all day long some are even equipped for motorcycles with a front tire lock. If it worries you that much.

Just ride it and wash it when ya get it home. Buckets of warm water from the sink work great.

omgtkk 12-15-2010 10:39 AM

Nope. I wouldn't ride it. If you have something that can tow, you can rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer for less than $30. You may have to call around to a few Uhaul centers to find one, but it would be worth it. It's not going to get above freezing here for the next week, so no option to wash salt off anything.

Personally, the cold is never a factor as to when I stop riding, but salt on the road is. Too much bare aluminum on these bikes to get oxidized.

CEJohnson21 12-15-2010 10:40 AM

I live in an area where I can ride year round and salt is not used. I've had to travel for work in the winter to areas where they salt the roads. The salt works to clear the roads, but OMG I almost felt sorry for the rental car. I could actually see rust growing on the car while it was parked in the hotel parking lot. Do not ride your bike on salted roads.