Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim's 120 engine

Old 09-28-2006, 02:04 PM
harley roadglider
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jim's 120 engine

I met the owner of the dealer in Chilliwack BC. He started to tell me about his bike. Turns out he has a Jim's 120 cubic inch engine that has 120lbs horses and 125lbs torque, out of the box![sm=bounceybounce.gif] He put the bike through a trip to Sturgis and back, and had no problems.

So my question to you all is, does anyone have any opinions pros or cons, experiences with this product? What about Zipperperformance? They have engine kits that give out the same performance.

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Bullhab (11-18-2023)
Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Jim's 120 engine

I've heard good thing about the Jims 120" But I think I'm going to go with thw S&S TC 124" after I get my 04RK paid for. I'll decied when that time comes.

Bullhab (11-18-2023)
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
twmartin
Cruiser

I have the Jim's 120 on my 2002 softail. The engine is very reliable, and has lots of power.
I just put the Zippers Thundernax on my 2006 Street Glide, and I am very impressed with that product.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I will either put a Jim's 120 on the street glide, or one of the Zippers kit, whenever I get the funds.

Bullhab (11-18-2023)
Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope it doesnt have SE lifters installed in it.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the jims is a good motor, but I think I would go with S&S they have been in the complete motor building much longer and have a very good dependibility record and warranty.

Bullhab (11-18-2023)
Old 09-28-2006, 03:16 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have been trying to find out if the JIMS will work with fuel injection. The catalogue says yes but the local dealer says carb only. Anyone know for sure??

Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

build your own...my little 98" puts out very close to 120

Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
twmartin
Cruiser

Zippers has an add on to make the Jim's 120 work with EFI. It uses their Thundermax ECU. I have also heard of others making it work using an aftermarket throttle body and the sert or PCIII.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Whats in your 98"?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Gilpinfreak
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jims 120 - Ive had tons of trouble with mine

Jims 120... I thought "perfect". I bought a 2006 Deluxe, took the 88 twin cam engine straight out of the bike and had the dealer put in the Jims 120. I couldnt wait to get on the bike with a "dependable race engine". Boy was I disappointed!!!! I had nothing but trouble. The lifters kept causing trouble, then the rockers, then the... then the... then the... . I had the engine torn apart and back and forth to Jims 8 times. What a bloody nightmare! I FINALLY, after 1.5 years of trying to ride whenever the bike was "fixed" again, got Jims to buck up and replace the defective engine! I got the motor back in January of this year. I was so happy to have a new motor that ran good. I finally thought I got what I paid big bucks for. Plenty of power (120 hp). Plenty of torque (120). Plenty of top end (130 easy with windscreen and bags in 4th gear with 2 gears to go). 12.95 sec & 104 mph in the 1/4 mile at 5500' altitude with the "B" motor (counterbalanced). (The "A" motor is not counter balanced, so its a bit more powerful) The torque curve is wonderfully flat as well. No more having to get to high rpms to really get moving. Twist the throttle, and GO! Loved every minute of it until 7 months later (8000 miles) when I heard "clunk, clunk" at idle. I took it to the shop and I was told the sealed bearing was walking its way out and the rotor gouged the counter shaft and other parts. My dealer told me it would cost $3500 to repair and he has never had this issue pop up before with any motor. OUCH!!!! Thats the cost of a new 88 motor!!!! Just for a repair for something that shouldnt have happened!!

I am hoping Jims will make this right. I am extremely frustrated with these problems Ive paid big bucks for. I gotta say though, the engine is pure bliss when its working right (not too often for me). The power is unbelieveable at times. I almost fell off the bike the first time I twisted hard at low rpms in 2nd gear, what a rush. I am not saying "do not buy this product" yet. I like it when its working. If Jims doesnt make this right, I will probably change my tune quite a bit.

I am not a true motorhead (i dont know every part in an engine and what it does.) This is exactly why I bought this motor instead of the multiple stages Harley offers for about the same price as the Jims 120. I wanted a reliable race engine that has plenty of power right out of the box. I thought this would be a safer route to go. Im not sure if it was a safer route, but I sure got shafted with 2 engines that dont work correctly.

If anyone else has had troubles with their Jims 120, please contact me as I might need some more backup when I go to battle with Jims.

dhitchcock@med1online.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jim's 120 engine