Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel very fortunate to own my bike

Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,690 Likes on 21,260 Posts

You know it really doesn't matter whether or not you own your bike or any of your toys as far as that goes. It all sounds nice, but I guarantee it that if push comes to shove and you get in a serious pinch for cash, the toys are always the first thing to go.
I am not being disrespectful either, just stating a fact.
Having a motorcycle is considered to be a luxury, period.
Argue all you want.
Anything that you think you own can be taken away from you.
The only thing that can't be taken from you is your education.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice thread. Makes one appreciate life, even if just for one time in the year

Old 12-26-2010, 08:06 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a greta thread to read first thing in the morning. Life is good. I have a Harley Davidson that I own as well. Things could be much worse. I have to go see my grandmother today as my grandfather died on Christmas eve.

Thanks for the perspective.

Drew

Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 AM
printer2
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Times

I think we need good and not to good times. This way we know how good we have it. Today they are a great number of people who can use some help.
Chicago

Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

On Veterans Day 2009 the company I had work for over 5 years closed its doors. No warnings, here's your final check, were closed goodbye.

I'm retired military so I make a pretty good check every month before I go to work so I was not as bad off as many of the others that lost their jobs.

I was out of work for about seven months and landed a job with better hours, better pay, better boss and a job I enjoy doing much more than what I was doing before.

Letting my bike go was never even considered. I did most of my job searching on the bike. I also think the bike helped me find a job, it was always a conversation point during interviews. Either the interviewer had one, just sold one or was getting ready to buy one.

While I was out of work I made ends meet by selling stuff around the house that we no longer had use for on E-bay. I averaged close to a thousand dollars a month getting rid of junk.

I feel very lucky To be getting ready to start the new year in the shape I'm in. Now if I can just scrape enough money togeather to pay the $1,800.00 in property taxes I have to pay in January I be golden.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though its me and the credit union that own the bike I feel very lucky that I'm in a position to send them a check every month, pay everything on time, keep the house warm and food on the table. My company went through about 4 layoffs over the past 18 months...reduced staff too far actually....with no consideration for years of service. Just bye, seeya, here's the door. I feel very fortunate to have survived all of that, and now things are just starting to get better. We are actually hiring again because they realized we had, in fact, gone too far.

Karma's a bitch though..guess who were the last 2 to lose their jobs? The 2 VPs who booted all those people out the door

Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Dandy1
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good thread! I'm 61 and have been working in the same profession for 39 years. (electric utility) I have my house paid for and a wonder wife and family. I thank God for it everyday. Things are much better than I deserve! I never thought I'd own a new Harley but it would be the first to go if I got into a mess and needed the money. I don't agree with the dirrection this country is headed but it is still the best country in the world!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy reading this thread. It puts into perspective the things that one should be thankful for. I live between two neighbors, both have been laid off for well over two years now. Life is tough for them right now, they had to give up some prized possessions just to make ends meet. Here's hoping that they find work soon!

They both promised me when they get back on their feet, they will get some scoots and we're going for a ride.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP, nice thread and thanks for the reminder as to how fortunate we are to be warm, healthy and happy and riding. I have friends far less fortunate who have had to sell or take insurance off their bikes. One is so far in debt because of hospital bills , he may never see the surface again.

Thanks the man above for taking care of my family,

Old 12-26-2010, 01:40 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Very true...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I feel very fortunate to own my bike