Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel very fortunate to own my bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:34 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread. A Harley is certainly a luxury if you don't have enough to eat but let' s also remember...

My Harley helped keep a bunch of folks employed at the moco. Family wage jobs too for the most part.

It employed folks making the parts the moco bought.

It employed folks to ship it.

It employed folks at my dealership.

I buy parts for it and employ folks that way. Even Chinese stuff employs Americans in supply/logistics, but seek US stuff whenever I can.

All of these folks employ other folks in grocery stores, restaurants, schools, etc. They pay taxes to build roads and bridges, etc.

A lot of good jobs get lost when folks stop spending money. I like to think of my bikes as my own part of economic stimulus with a lion's share going to "normal folks" like us.

For those with less now than you've had in the past, here's a hope that the cash will start flowing again soon.

Merry Xmas.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts
Thumbs up

Great post!!!!

We should all reflect & be thankful.

A late Merry Christmas to everyone . . .

And a Happy New Year !!!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My heart go's out to you Drew!
and Yes, at a half Century plus, I feel quite lucky to witnessing anything at all. I love it here in this great country to which at this point has aloud me to grow and mature at my own rate. I feel quite lucky to finally have the resources to own a Harley of my own. When things got a little tight, I considered selling off my car before my bike, but I am single and childless. Mmmm! Something wrong with that picture but I'll let the Bitch "esplain" that one.
Tough days are far from over however, so hang on to what you have right now! And help and pray for the needy when you can.
Take good care of yourselves and families, as they are all you do have, and that too can change, ask me how I know!
I wish you all well in the upcoming years, and hope to meet many of you, of whom I've found solace and honesty in their posts to others.
my $0.02

aka Bob

Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
in today's economy, i feel very lucky to be able to afford this part of the american dream. our big twin harleys is as good as it gets, the best of the best. there have been times in years past when all i could own was an old worn out 350 honda. i have a great 08 streetglide which i got when it was new, and sometimes when we get to complaining about our bikes, just remember, we're pretty darn lucky to own what we got. some guys can afford to trade up every few years, or even own more than one harley. wishing everyone had a great christmas and going to have a good 2011.
+1 for a great attitude. I'm glad I have a bike and I can still ride.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's enuf to be healthy and happy.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post. I feel very fortunate to own my ride too. I've made many friends on the road and here on the forum. I think that is the best part for me.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
in today's economy, i feel very lucky to be able to afford this part of the american dream. our big twin harleys is as good as it gets, the best of the best. there have been times in years past when all i could own was an old worn out 350 honda. i have a great 08 streetglide which i got when it was new, and sometimes when we get to complaining about our bikes, just remember, we're pretty darn lucky to own what we got. some guys can afford to trade up every few years, or even own more than one harley. wishing everyone had a great christmas and going to have a good 2011.
I hear you loud and clear... and I'm appreciative of mine as well.

I've got soem buddies that start bitchin' every two years... then one of them buys a new bike. Next thing you know... three more go and trade in on new too. Keepin' up with the Jones's is all their doing.

Mine's an '08 too, and I busted my *** to pay it it off in two years instead of four. The way I see it... I'm keepin' it until it's falling apart. I got one friens that trades his in when the rear tires need changing. WTF?!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:43 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Originally Posted by Dandy1950
This is a good thread! I'm 61 and have been working in the same profession for 39 years. (electric utility) I have my house paid for and a wonder wife and family. I thank God for it everyday. Things are much better than I deserve! I never thought I'd own a new Harley but it would be the first to go if I got into a mess and needed the money. I don't agree with the dirrection this country is headed but it is still the best country in the world!

Amen to everything you said, all of you. I also have been climbing those utility poles for 30 years. Would not change a thing.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things have been and could be a LOT worse. I lost my job (no fault of my own) 10 months ago. It has been a tough year but we are all still here, fat, dumb, happy and riding. Things will turn around this coming year....I never loose sight of this....

Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks guys for all the replies. it occurred to me that many of my friends have commented with, "one of these days, i'd really like to own a bike just like yours". i take it as quite a compliment from them. yeah, i feel like my bike isn't necessary, but it sure is great to get out for a ride when the urge strikes me. i sure don't miss the rough times in years past when i was a young man. hope everyone has a great upcoming year, and i'm looking forward to a big rebound in the economy. lots of folks out there hurting. that's what made me think of posting this thread. i just felt the need to reflect on how fortunate we are, is all.

Quick Reply: I feel very fortunate to own my bike