Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Is it worth lowering front end for 21" wheel? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/594839-is-it-worth-lowering-front-end-for-21-wheel.html)

Beach Bagger 12-28-2010 10:28 PM

Is it worth lowering front end for 21" wheel?

I finally saved up enough money to buy new wheels for my SG, so I ordered a set from Eastern Performance that I’ve been eyeing for quite some time. For those that don’t know, Eastern Performance is offering 5% off all their advertised prices on their website through the end of the year.

Anyway, I’ve read that a bunch of you guys are lowering the front of your bikes 1 to 2 inches after installing a 21” front wheel and I’m wondering how much value there would be for me to do that. I did some math on the stock wheel and tire heights and I compared them to the setup that I’ve ordered and from what I’ve figured the front of the bike will only be raised up 0.9” over stock. If I lowered the bike even 1” that would put the front end lower than stock. I’m 6’3” tall, so is it really worth lowering the front of the bike?

Here’s the math…please correct me if I’m wrong.

Stock front: 130/70R18 = 25.2”
New front: 120/70R21 = 27.6”
Total diameter gain: 2.4”
Front of bike raised: 1.2” (2.4"/2= 1.2”)

Stock rear: 180/65R16 = 25.2”
New rear: 180/55R18 = 25.8”
Total diameter gain: 0.6”
Rear of bike raised: 0.3” (0.6"/2= 0.3”)

Front (1.2”) – Rear (0.3”) = 0.9”

jackinthebox 12-28-2010 10:42 PM

I would say no. Both my bike have 21 up front no lowering kit. Like you I'm not short so the height isn't a issue. Do you have your lowers chrome already? If not the put wheels on and try it. If you don't like the feel then you can do your chrome lowers and lowering kit and kill two things at once. Most complaints are slow speed operations. Me either I dont know the difference or am just used to it cause it feels fine to me. As far as handling it's fine and I travel some of the worst freeways at a high rate of speed. That's my.02

DocHarley 12-28-2010 10:44 PM

I'm in the process of purchasing the same configuration and believe your calculations to be correct.

Most people, from what I've gathered, lower their front end because they are 5'10" or shorter and/or do not like the looks of the front end being 1" or more higher then the rear.

So If cosmetics is not important to you then I would suggest you leave it stock. That's what I'd do if I was tall as a bean pole. lol :)

Beach Bagger 12-28-2010 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by jackinthebox (Post 7711605)
I would say no. Both my bike have 21 up front no lowering kit. Like you I'm not short so the height isn't a issue. Do you have your lowers chrome already? If not the put wheels on and try it. If you don't like the feel then you can do your chrome lowers and lowering kit and kill two things at once. Most complaints are slow speed operations. Me either I dont know the difference or am just used to it cause it feels fine to me. As far as handling it's fine and I travel some of the worst freeways at a high rate of speed. That's my.02

My lowers are already chromed, so I would have to remove them and reinstall them to put a lowering kit in, but your advice would be good if they were not already chrome. I looked at the Progressive drop in kits, but on a fairing bike it would almost be as easy to remove the fork legs.

Double 12-29-2010 08:25 AM

The center point of my axle was raised just a hair over an inch. I lowered mine but like jackinthebox said I could tell the most at low speeds and maneuvering plus I already had the rearend lowered an inch so it made that much more of a difference. I'd encourage you to put them on and ride it and see what you think. You might be perfectly content with it.

Finnster1 12-29-2010 08:59 AM

I have the same set up. I'm 6'2" so I am still flat footed with bent knees.

I'm also 205+....so I'm sure I squish the suspension enough.

I also think HD suspension isnt the "greatest" especially in the front forks. Giving up an inch of travel in the front may make it ride more harsh. I left mine alone, I'm doing chrome lowers soon and will most likely add the Screamin Eagle heavy oil to offset my weight. I believe the bikes are generally designed for the average weighted rider which most manufactures figure at about 160lbs.

Just my opinion....but I say leave it be.

mctwist 12-29-2010 09:58 AM

Well, I felt a little different than you guys on this one. I put the 21" front/18" rear on mine and bought the HD 1" lowering springs and used the HD heavy fork oil. I wanted the bottom frame rails to be level so thats why I lowered initially. The ride seems fine with the setup I have. I rode this whole summer with this setup, but now I am going to lower the front another 1" (total of 2" lower) because It still seems high and I cant quite touch the ground flat footed and be comfortable. Forgot to mention that I am 6'1" 215 lbs.

Bgill 12-29-2010 10:18 AM

21/17 on a 2009 Ultra Classic

Lowered front 1' w/MOCO kit & SE heavy fork oil
Lowered rear using shocks off a 2009 SERG

Rides and handles just fine.

From side view it appears to be about 1" taller in the front "as-is".

May do the Progressive 2" mono tube drop kit if I ever open up the front end again.

mikes300 12-29-2010 10:47 AM

ABSOLUTLY!! ya mine handled fine without lower it, but once I did lower it, it was much bettter i would suggest every time to lower it back to stock height, you wont be dissapointed.

Mike

KING'S RIDE 12-29-2010 10:51 AM

didn't lower my front when i got the 21", but did lower the rear and inch. so that makes it about 2" over in the front. i personally like the stance of the bike, makes it look like its riding uphill and makes the wheel look bigger, but that is just me. 6'2" 250 and no problems reaching the ground. don't think i will lower the front ...... ever.