Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paul Yaffe or Fat Baggers Flush Mount Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paul Yaffe or Fat Baggers Flush Mount Axle?

I need some opinions on the selection of a flush mount axle. My 21"/18" wheels for my 2010 SG have been ordered from Eastern Performance and I also ordered a Fat Baggers flush mount axle and fork leg end cap, but I'm wondering if the Fat Baggers axle is the best choice. I like the way that the Fat Baggers flush mount axle looks once installed, but I've read that once it's installed don't plan on removing the axle cap from the left fork leg because it almost permanently wedges in to the left fork leg by design. The left axle cap blocks the bolt that has to be loosened to remove the left fork leg. My fork legs are already chromed, so I don't plan on needing to remove them unless I decide to lower the front end later, but I'm concerned that it would be a real pain to remove if I ever needed to. I'm thinking about changing my order and getting a Paul Yaffe flush mount axle instead. From what I've read the Yaffe axle is easy to remove when needed and nothing wedges into the fork legs. My only concern about the Yaffe axle is that it looks like from the pictures that I've seen that the attachment bolts on either side are not chromed and it may stand out more than the Fat Baggers axle. Any experience or opionions on these two axles or which one you would prefer and why?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the FBI axle and though I have not needed to take my front tire off since install of the axle, I'm sure it won't be that bad. The FBI comes with a bolt/washer that helps the left cap wedge on. Seems to me, if you want it off, just pop it off and use the bolt/washer to wedge it back on.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM
MLCrow1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the FBI axle from Eastern Performance and after 3 months hit a deer with my SG. I had no problems removing the front wheel, axle (both left and right) so I could get my forks re-chromed. As a prior poster said, there is a bolt that comes with the FBI kit to remove the left cap.

I don't know about the Yaffe one.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:08 PM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Yaffe flush axle. Boththe end bolts are chrome. Ya I didn't plan on removing my wheel either and I had an issue with a wheel which required removal. You may not plan on takin a wheel off but eventually you have to. I did see a thread this summer when I was debating the same thing that some guys had problems getting the KlockWerks and Fat Bagger axles out. Thus I went with the Yaffe. Glad I did. Might try doing a search for that thread.