Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of open primary use on a bagger

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
toby34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of open primary use on a bagger

This is on my mode list for the winter . I am looking for any info regarding the up and down side of installing this on my 09 sg

Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm definitely subscribing to this one. Guess there's a cool factor but I can't imagine an advantage to an open primary other than that.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

How can there be any benefit to exposing wear items to the elements and depriving them of lubrication?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
mystery pan
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
How can there be any benefit to exposing wear items to the elements and depriving them of lubrication?
What about your rear drive belt MNPGRider? I run an open belt on three of my bikes and a closed stock primary on my stock ultra, prefer the belt drives. Nothing wrong with them. Some people feel when venturing out beyond the missionary position they become afraid - grab the ring and go for it. MP

The following users liked this post:
Traffic69 (08-14-2023)
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
ROUNDMAN
Intermediate

No leaks to worry about, looks cool, great clutch...Do it!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean switching to an open belt drive and dry clutch or just running your primary chain without a primary cover?

Each has pros and cons . . .

The open belt drive is lighter in weight, it's zero maintenance, doesn't leak oil, and makes clutch adjustment a 15 minute job. The downside is a nosier clutch (they tend to rattle when the clutch is disengaged.) And it's harder to set up a dry clutch so it doesn't drag, at least a little bit. This sometimes makes shifting, not really harder, but definitely less smooth. Also if you don't run some kind of belt guard, and you have forward controls, you'll catch your pant leg in the front pulley until you learn to avoid it on the sub-conscious level. (Once it scares the **** out of you a few times you'll learn to stop doing it.) One other problem is the single lipped seal Harley uses in the motor crankshaft bearing on that side. To save a few pennies it's designed to keep primary oil out of the motor, but not motor oil out of the primary. So with a open belt drive you'll notice the leak. (With a wet primary you won't.) They have a double lipped seal you can install but most guys just silicone around the original bearing seal and hope for the best, but they almost always begin to leak.

On running the primary chain sans primary cover a lot of us were running that way back in the 1970s before there were aftermarket open primary belt drives. But in those days the primary had a chain oiler that dripped oil directly on the chain and I don't think newer Harleys have those anymore (the bottom part of the chain just runs in a oil bath I suppose?) so we didn't actually run the primary chain dry. And yes it was messy. But one great advantage came if you got pulled over but kept the bike running. When the cop walked up on your left side he'd get the cuffs of his uniform pants sprayed with oil.

I suppose without the chain oiler you'd have to actually oil the primary chain manually. Although I think running this way isn't what you were referring to, is it?

Here's my open belt drive during and after installation while I was still in the build process on my bike.

Name:  Untitled78.jpg
Views: 16352
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  Work5.jpg
Views: 25234
Size:  134.7 KB

Name:  Easter2.jpg
Views: 17410
Size:  95.9 KB

Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I like the primary sealed. Watch this to see the squirrel in the primary at the end of the video!

YouTube - Radical Cycle - 260 cubic inch custom motorcycle

Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, that's a one in a million shot . . .

Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer

you gotta lov that one.that would give you something to talk about for a long time

Old 01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
imcworth
Cruiser

Thats why I use Hamsters !!! Squirrels are not dependable!

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of open primary use on a bagger