Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 120r

Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 120r

It's much better than what you get stock from HD but face it you are not going to impress too many people with it, all it does is make your Harley able to get out of it's own way. I never thought that it would make my glide a race bike but if you look at some of the numbers people are posting and talk of pulling the front end up off the ground in the upper gears you have to laugh. Some think they have a race machine but will loose that ego when some teenager flies by them in a Volkswagen Jeta on the cell phone. I like the 120R in the bike but it is still a pig.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

I don't see any body bragging about 10k or 20k miles on 120R when I bought my first Harley in 05 EGC I put 3800 miles in 6 weeks and year later 28k traded it for 07 put 23k on it in first year. I don't want to spend any money on it if it's just for show not for longevity. Mine is bigger then yours is not my thing I don't want to be stuck in NV AZ UT desert where there is no cell service.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's not a very good reason! Pop a 120R in, tuck your old motor away in the garage, ride the 120R until it won't go - replace and carry on....
That was my logic, engine out of the 06 is sitting in an engine stand in case it is ever needed again. The SE 120R street bob gets ridden a lot. It does help that I have two bikes, one a hot rod and one a bagger. The bagger with the stage II 103 is a proven performer and would be the go to bike for longer trips. The 06 bob is perfect for couple of hundred mile jaunts but wouldn't want to go cross county on it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I think it's cool that it's offered at a reasonable price....but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't worried about the crank not being welded and trued...I know...they are racing them now, and time will tell if problems surface.

If I put it in my bagger, the days of 43 MPG are OVER. Not sure if I'm ready for that.

Again, the 124 S&S guts in my stock VIN'd case sounds tempting as well.

Oh...and the stiff clutch lever pull sucks, IMHO.

My old DYNA had a killer clutch pull to hold back my cammed up and geared down DYNA...and it would definitely make your hand sore in stop and go traffic.

I do wonder how my bagger would feel with an extra 40 FOOT POUNDS OF TORQUE AT THE WHEEL though....

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 04-24-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM
niinjoosum
Advanced

Damn whats all this hate comin from. I got my 120R because I was giddy with the possabilities the engine would give to my Ultra. I haven't posted my numbers anywhere because thats not why I got it, I got it to ride. If I want to race thats what I have my Ducati 749 for. And it does it very well. Yes when I am at a light with another HD he is in for a big suprise; but, mostly I enjoy eating miles on this bike. The 120R made my Ultra into a great two up tourer. Best part is that I had the engine checked after 1000 miles and all is well. With over 2500 miles on it, its still good. So you guys can wait for the 25,000 and 50,000 report but I going to ride mine and let you know about it. I got my Harley because I was tired of Jap bikes I wanted a bike that I dreamed of owning as a kid. So my HD was the only option. I own and am proud ride my Harley on US roads. I waited a long time for this and no one will cheapen it because they got their own agenda. And if your where really concern about simplicity and realiabllity in engines I say lets all go back to the flat head Harleys and Indians. I loved my 1948 Chief and I use to get lines from people about kick starting and how hard they were to shift. If I listened to them I would have never had the greatest riding experiences in my riding life with that Chief. So you keep posting your issues and I'll keep doing what I want to do because its my life and my money and this is America where we still have freedom to do both. Ride safe.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
Leave your HD stock and if you want to go fast buy a metric. 120R is not anything but a waste of cash if you want to go fast and have a bike that handles too. I bought one for my 2010 Roadglide and have another sitting in a shipping crate it came in. Damn waste of cash now that i installed one,they run pretty strong but almost any Jap bike will make you look silly. I have a Kawasaki KDX500 one cylinder dirt bike that will make that 120R look sick all the way up to 100+ Waste of money trying to get a 2cylinder air cooled pushrod bike try to go faster than anything other than a less money spent on the engine HD. Harley Davidson use to make a snowmobile but they could only get it to go over 28mph so they don't sell them anymore. 120R is a 2 cylinder pig that will burn up in a couple seasons for sure.
Damn,tell us how you really feel!!! lol.take it apart,bump the compression,change the cam,tune it & add a D&D Boarzilla or Bosszilla;I bet you she won't be a pig then!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by niinjoosum
Damn whats all this hate comin from. I got my 120R because I was giddy with the possabilities the engine would give to my Ultra. I haven't posted my numbers anywhere because thats not why I got it, I got it to ride. If I want to race thats what I have my Ducati 749 for. And it does it very well. Yes when I am at a light with another HD he is in for a big suprise; but, mostly I enjoy eating miles on this bike. The 120R made my Ultra into a great two up tourer. Best part is that I had the engine checked after 1000 miles and all is well. With over 2500 miles on it, its still good. So you guys can wait for the 25,000 and 50,000 report but I going to ride mine and let you know about it. I got my Harley because I was tired of Jap bikes I wanted a bike that I dreamed of owning as a kid. So my HD was the only option. I own and am proud ride my Harley on US roads. I waited a long time for this and no one will cheapen it because they got their own agenda. And if your where really concern about simplicity and realiabllity in engines I say lets all go back to the flat head Harleys and Indians. I loved my 1948 Chief and I use to get lines from people about kick starting and how hard they were to shift. If I listened to them I would have never had the greatest riding experiences in my riding life with that Chief. So you keep posting your issues and I'll keep doing what I want to do because its my life and my money and this is America where we still have freedom to do both. Ride safe.
Don't take MY previous post as hate bro....I think your setup is cool as hell!

~Joe

Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Clayslayer
Advanced

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm curious to know if there are any 120s out there that have more than 10,000 miles on them. FWIW my Stage 1 FLHTK (Yeah, just a lowly "1") stomps hard enough to make me smile. It's not fast by any stretch but it'll get up to the speed limit fast enough to make me grin. Hot rodding a bagger is akin to turbocharging an electric wheelchair in my opinion.

I have a Honda CBR600RR for speed when I feel like it and it more than does the job. I put about a hundred miles on it this morning and am having trouble getting the grin off my face. It has 100+ SOLID, reliable, usable, uncomplaining horsepower that's available whenever and wherever I need it. I know that I can beat the **** out of that bike (and I do) all I want and it'll never let me down.

I have pipes and an air cleaner on my otherwise stock Geezer-Glide and it's enough for me in my opinion. Trying to get the same performance from both bikes would be a VERY costly venture that would make my 2010 bagger as reliable as a mid sixties air cooled Triumph. Fun for about a season at best then problem after problem after problem. No thanks. Reliability is very important to me.

If you have the bank account to support a 130 horsepower Harley good for you. I don't.