Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non ethonol 90 octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't really have a choice around here - gasoline is oxygenated with ethanol by state law (Phoenix-area fuel must include a 10 percent blend of ethanol, by volume, between Nov. 1 and March 31).

Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Explain why please.

1...it's absorbs water at a much faster rate and breaks down much quicker.

2..It has alcohol in it and it separates in a short time.

3.. It cleans gunk off tank walls that would do no harm to remain on the walls....when it drops it clogs stuff up.

4.. The fuel is NO GOOD for the environment or consumer. It has no benefit on cost per mile. It makes less power and tasks more to go the same distance.

5.. It should be called Global Warming idea #2. It's a feel good thing for dummies.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
4.. The fuel is NO GOOD for the environment or consumer. It has no benefit on cost per mile. It makes less power and tasks more to go the same distance.
It actually will make more power (and has a higher octane rating) but has a lower BTU thus taking more volume to get the power. I was looking at the GMC website at the Yukon XL the other day....

Gasoline - 320HP @ 5400RPM 335 ft-lbs torque @ 4000RPM

E85 - 326HP @ 5300RPM 348 ft-lbs @ 4400RPM

Link

I'm not accusing any mechanics of anything, but if one wasn't honest it sure would be easy to replace a lot of "bad" parts and sell the ethanol fear line instead of not liking it for the economic aspects.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
It actually will make more power (and has a higher octane rating) but has a lower BTU thus taking more volume to get the power. I was looking at the GMC website at the Yukon XL the other day....

Gasoline - 320HP @ 5400RPM 335 ft-lbs torque @ 4000RPM

E85 - 326HP @ 5300RPM 348 ft-lbs @ 4400RPM

Link

I'm not accusing any mechanics of anything, but if one wasn't honest it sure would be easy to replace a lot of "bad" parts and sell the ethanol fear line instead of not liking it for the economic aspects.
are you saying that the same amount of fuel in ethanol makes more power than the same octane and amount of non-ethanol?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

far as i can tell only have to worry if the vehicle sits a lot. mines a daily rider so i dont worry much bout it

Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OR you could just put a little Marine Sta-Bil in with each tank and not worry about it.

It's that simple. Sta-Bil stops the break down process of ethanol....it won't reverse it but it will prolong the "shelf-life" of what we are all going to be using.

It really is that simple.

Marine Sta-Bil is a more concentrated version. Hardly costs more and a bottle last for awhile. You'll waste more money trying to find a non-ethanol station.
I agree and another product called StarTron helps to mix the alcohol with the gasoline to get a better burn and more power. My 2011 Ultra Trike calls for 91 octane fuel at no more than 10% alcohol. Fortunately, we can still get 10% 93 octane out of single hose pumps at some stations here in Florida. I keep 5 gallons of treated fuel at home and usually fill up at the house. When tripping, we carry the StarTron with us. On a single hose pump, how much under octane crap goes into your tank before really getting 93 octane?

Fortunatally, we live in an area where there are alot of high rollers with high performance cars, so our local Shell station turns the 93 octane fuel over very fast. I always use the same pump and get a receipt if there ever is a problem. If they go to 15%, I think we may be in trouble, JMO.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
mikeflhr10
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E10 ain't the problem its the people u don't let gas set absorbs water. DON'T USE IN AIR COOLED MOTORS NOT BUILD FOR IT causes hot spots in cylinders like weedeaters chain saws and they don't need high octane if the manual says 87 it does no good to run more . I have had a shop full time for 25 years yes it cleans that's good once its all out

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search "ETHANOL FREE GAS" for locations in all states that sell pure gas. Read other places what ethanol is doin' to your beloved DAVIDSON.
ride safe.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 01-06-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

are you saying that the same amount of fuel in ethanol makes more power than the same octane and amount of non-ethanol?

No, that's why I said -

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
but has a lower BTU thus taking more volume to get the power.
That means ethanol has less heat (energy) per unit compared to non ethanol fuel and will take more volume to get the same heat. If you also look at the fuel economy numbers on the Yukon specs, you will see lower economy when using E85. i.e. It takes more fuel to get more power.

If we want to compare an apple to an orange.... Straight ethanol has about a 117 octane rating which is one reason race type vehicles can make tons of power with it. High compression and increased timing = more power which is tolerated well with the high octane rating. Again, it takes a lot of volume to get it though.

Still ?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
BUIZILLA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couple tidbit facts ...

E85 will make more power upstairs, not downstairs, but at an expense of 30-35% WORSE fuel economy, that's a documented fact... using E85 will cost you more in your pocket with the arrogant economy loss

E10 will NEVER make more power, and also has a 10-12% economy loss

to overcome some of this, GM and other's went to aluminum heads and higher comp. ratio's to burn the *less BTU theatre of events*

if you have an MPG loss, it's because of the additional fuel required to turn the wheel due to the BTU per burn cycle loss

I have a 2010 Chev 6.0 4wd 2500, I have used all 3 fuels, and I have explicitly documented every tank of fuel since last Aug 1. I now use E90 Rec fuel as much as possible, the truck runs awesome on E90, idles better, more power and gets about 2 mpg better that E10, 4-5 mpg better than E85, my daughter's new C300 Benz went from 21 mpg w/E90 to 13.5 with E85, my 2008 5.3 Tahoe went from 19-20mpg hwy. on E10 to 14-15 with E85

face the facts, E90 is basically what we WERE using since 1973, before the Fed's jammed E10 and E85 junk down our throats, so how can it be bad? nobody complained about non-ethanol fuel for 37 years, unless you had a high compression steel head engine...

all you guys using E10 with big cams, and compression releases, and pinging and banging engines, take note here... run a couple tanks of E90 and get back to us...

not to mention the gunk and corrosion issues at hand

it takes 30% more wasted BTU's to PRODUCE one gallon of E10 than it's worth. If there wasn't a backend govt. subsidy to produce E10, the fuel blenders would never do it because it would be cost prohibitive

Quick Reply: Non ethonol 90 octane fuel