Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT/C/X Sound System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
capecodbagger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FLHT/C/X Sound System Upgrade

Been doing a little research on upgrading the stock sound system on my 09 Street Glide.

The one thing I have learned from almost everyone I spoke too is adding new speakers without an Amp is a waste of time and money.... That said my question is: Will the 32 Watt Per Channel Amp that comes with the Hogtunes 902.2-AA Speakers be enough power to produce good Volume and Clarity. From everything I read the additional wattage Biketronic's offers is just overkill (is this true?)..... As far as price goes I can get the Hogtunes complete package for $248 vs $600 for Biketronic's package.

Has anyone heard these two setup's side by side?

Looking forward to any and all feedback.

Last edited by capecodbagger; 03-16-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

depends what you are after, if you are looking to improve over stock either will work, I have several friends who have biketronics amp and speakers and they do not sound as good as hawg-wired, hawg-wired 150w double shot amp and speakers will blow them away, but you will pay about $740 for this set up if you shop it, list is a little higher

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Hog Tunes amp & speakers (batwing & lowers) it sounds really good... not "fantastic!" but, really good for the money spent. But, in my opinion the best money spent has been the Hog Tunes Hogpod. Welcome to the forums!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Joe Squid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the adapter setup from eglidegoodies and a sony stereo from best buy. Threw in some $39 speaker adapters from ebay and a set of kicker 6 1/2" speakers up front. I have 5 1/4" blaupunkts in the rear, but will be switching or adding some 6 1/2" in the saddlebag lids later. Sold my stock 04' stereo on ebay and paid for the whole setup...sounds great!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The J&M amp i supposed to be out at the end of this month. Another configuration to consider is their 7.25" speakers and the amp.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
capecodbagger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Thanks for all the quick replies.... I like the Hogpod add on but I'm afraid it will take away from custom paint work I have on the inner fairing... I am also looking into aftermarket radio's with retractable GPS screens... I'm just not sure how will these will fair if they get wet.

Great Board! Glad I joined.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Capecodbagger, first off welcome there is a ton of useful info on this forum and a lot of members that will help you spend your money in a hurry... On the speaker topic, not sure what your custom painted inner looks like, but I have the hogtune speakers with the tweeter pod, and I got the tweeter pod painted to match my inner, and it looks great! I guess you could always paint the tweeter pod to match the inner, but the fit and finish is great on this set-up. As far as the hogtunes speakers and amp, not sure what the difference is with or without the amp, I would love to get a different set of speakers and a larger amp... but money depends on my choice...

I dont think you can go wrong with any of these set up, just depends on the amount of money that you want to spend, and what you are hoping to achieve, just remember that this is still a motorcycle radio, and no matter what you do it wont sound like your home stereo, at least not like my home stereo! Good luck and again welcome!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Plenty of HDF'ers content with a speakers-only swap; no amp. Personally, I have Hog Pod with Infity Reference 6.5" speakers and I'm fine with this set-up. For me, the Hog Pod is an excellent value and I bought it not knowing if I'd like it, but I was repainting the bike in a custom color so I bit the bullet to have the HP painted to match.

Chasing "the sound" can get as crazy as chasing horsepower and torque.

Take a few minutes and introduce yourself and your bike; include pics of the bike 'cause we love pictures.

Carl

Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodbagger
Been doing a little research on upgrading the stock sound system on my 09 Street Glide.

The one thing I have learned from almost everyone I spoke too is adding new speakers without an Amp is a waste of time and money.... That said my question is: Will the 32 Watt Per Channel Amp that comes with the Hogtunes 902.2-AA Speakers be enough power to produce good Volume and Clarity. From everything I read the additional wattage Biketronic's offers is just overkill (is this true?)..... As far as price goes I can get the Hogtunes complete package for $248 vs $600 for Biketronic's package.

Has anyone heard these two setup's side by side?

Looking forward to any and all feedback.
Call me. I will get you all the info you are looking for and get you setup right.

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
neano62
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got Hawg-Wired DblSht. Amp and Hertz 6.5" Speakers...! Ya get what ya pay for.Bigger Bigger Speakers did make the System sound fuller. Theres a guy on here, with the name of Firecap501... not sure about the 501 but sure about the Firecap...! Get a hold of him b/4 you make any decisions! He lives in Oklahoma, his name is Wayne. I think he will stear ya the rite way.

Attached Thumbnails FLHT/C/X Sound System Upgrade-073.jpg   FLHT/C/X Sound System Upgrade-074.jpg  

Quick Reply: FLHT/C/X Sound System Upgrade