Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if you "lose" your gas cap...?

Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always have to take off at least one glove to gas up so I place the cap on top of the glove. If I ever forget both the cap and the glove, it'll be time to check into the old rider's home.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
Being disteacted is the fastest way to being run down. If you cant keep track of your gas cap, you need to rethink how you ride.
The only time its ever off, is when you are filling. You wont get far before you are soaked.
I bought an after market cap, the OEM is in the tool box drawer. I can not conceive ever needing to use it.
I was waiting for someone to come up with something like this. You know the type, the kind that has NEVER forgotten anything, or made even a SINGLE MISTAKE. The ones who tell you that if you have made the mistake of forgetting something you shouldn't be riding a bike. The same ones who have never lost a pair of sunglasses when filling up their car or anything like that. I'm so tired of ***-hat comments.

And why bother replacing a perfectly good gas cap with an aftermarket one? This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all fairness, I can easily picture someone with a Glide, taking the cap off, placing it on top of the gas pump, filling up, flipping the door shut and taking off, especially if you're in a hurry. Those who can't picture it must ride something without a door over their gas cap, especially if they've bought an expensive after market gas cap.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NECaveman
I bought a spare cap from the HD dealer. I keep it in the saddle bag. About $15 each.

Use a potato, I know they work really well on exhaust pipes.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first HD was a new '08 Ultra. I opened the fuel flap and filled up for over a year.

Traded it and got a new Limited. First time I filled the bike I noticed it had a fuel cap....

I had wondered about it, kinda, with my 08 but never really asked the question.

Anyway, the cap is a breather to allow for expansion / contraction of the volume in the tank so no damage done to the engine.

Now, I did go on vacation and leave my key in the garage - guess that is an equally stoooopid thing to do. I was warming the bike up whilst putting rain gear on and left the key on a shelf. Rode off and then stopped at a gas station 10 minutes from the ferry terminal. Had to learn quickly how to use the PIN option!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kyote
I dont get it either.. I take off my cap and put it on my seat.. no way I am driving off with it under my fat a$$... lol
My solution too! Kinda proves the old sayin' "If it was up your *** you'd know where it was"...............

Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Next time you leave it take off one of ya socks and stuff it in the hole, gas is too expensive to let it spill out or evaporate. And no it will not damage your engine, leavin the cap off that is, the sock wont either.

a molotovorcycle?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And no it will not damage your engine, leavin the cap off that is, the sock wont either.
Obviously you haven't been around my socks.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBREW
Its not the attention that gets lost its the mind. I have that age old affliction called Sometimers disease. Sometimes I remember, Sometimes I don't. I always sum it up to people as "Too many pockets-not enough memory"
Understood, i actually have an attention problem as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Delete.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 01-06-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Didn't come out as funny as it was supposed to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What if you "lose" your gas cap...?