Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple in Tranny?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Royal Purple in Tranny?

Who is running a Royal Purple gear oil in tranny? And if so, is it the Max Gear or Synchromax? And how do you like it? I've been using Spectro for 6 speeds in my tranny for quite some time now with pretty good results but I recently rode a 05 Road King that was using Royal Purple Max Gear supposedly and darn it was quiet when shifting. I realize the 05' Road King 5 speed tranny differs from my 08' 6 speed but still couldn't help but notice how quiet and smooth it was. Especially compared to my bike's shifting. Max Gear shows 2 weights being 75-90 or 75-140 but Royal Purple website seems to be advertising Max Gear more for rear end differentials and such. But that's what was said to be in the tranny and I think it was the 75-90.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat1
Who is running a Royal Purple gear oil in tranny? And if so, is it the Max Gear or Synchromax?...
I've used the MaxGear (75w140) in my '08 UC for a couple of years (summer and winter). Works fine.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i used 75-140 also in my 08 streetglide but last summer changed over to redline shock proof, and it made a noticeable improvement for me. it's easy to find and i found it at a dirt bike shop. it's good stuff and i recommend it to my friends. i liked the royal purple max gear but really prefer the red line shock proof heavy. i also went from the royal purple in my primary to b&m trickshift and it also made a good difference. i found the B&M trickshift at autozone, and it works great with the clutch friction parts, lubes the primary chain quite well, and there's little to no clunk when shifting into first gear.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I put RP in my 05 trans,it started to leak from main and shifter seals.Put regular back in it more or less dried up,this was at about 35,000

Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer

The Red Line shock proof is another that I have been considering trying. Doesn't sound like many use the RP in the tranny and the few that have is just sort of ho hum about it. Apprecitate the feedback gents.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like my 2010 shifts and went from HD to redline w/shock proof and now have Royal Purple in it. This is all within the first 4k just trying to get it to shift smoother. I really saw little difference in any of theml I had a 05 RK and though it had the clinck it could not have shifted any smoother. I would love to have that smooth "clunck" back and forget the quiet.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
sooie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you think R/P was smooooth (i had it in my ultra)
you need to try the redline shockproof (i have this in my limited now)

Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

So what does the Redline shockproof look like when you drain it out to change it? Is it still thick or has it been thinned down some?

Originally Posted by sooie
if you think R/P was smooooth (i had it in my ultra)
you need to try the redline shockproof (i have this in my limited now)

Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer did a trans repair for me and filled it with stock H-D lube (had been using Syn3). I did notice a difference in noise and thought I would try the Redline, which I couldn't find locally, costs me about $16 a quart shipped. My trans now feels and sounds like it did with the Syn3. Doubt I'd use the Redline again, same performance with the Syn3.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
sooie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i can not tell you what it looks like
have not drained it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple in Tranny?