Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Road King to Street King!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking From Road King to Street King!

After looking for a couple of weeks and reading many posts I settled on a Woody and considering the prompt help answering questions by Glenn I'm so glad I did! As always I'm overkilling it. Going with a Kenwood kdc-bt645u head unit. No sense in not taking advantage of all this unit has to offer so I'm installing: 1. XM sat. radio and HD-radio. This unit is bluetooth ready, i-pod ready with a USB port in the face, CD player, and many other little adds but you get the picture. I was going to trade for a Street Glide, but I rode one and I must admit I would greatly miss my RK. So I decided to go the "Street King" route and have the best of both. The install is going smooth so far with the exception of one more cable I'm waiting on to finish up. I would appreciate reply's from anyone that's performed this mod. My only delay besides the cable at this point is tapping into the harness for the red memory wire from the audio unit. Glenn recommended the Taillight lead since it's on the acc. portion of the switch, which is needed for the radio's memory. I must admit this has been a really fun mod. so far, with the exception of the wife complaining because I brought the inner inside to do all of the inner mounting/wiring. When it's all done I will be able to remove this fairing and go shieldless, or add my traditional windshield. This feature is probably my fav. of all! Again, any good tips, pics, pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attached Thumbnails From Road King to Street King!-dscf3720.jpg   From Road King to Street King!-dscf3714.jpg   From Road King to Street King!-dscf3588.jpg   From Road King to Street King!-dscf3591.jpg   From Road King to Street King!-dscf3590.jpg  

Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the world of the Super King.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

As fare as the memory power lead I went to the battery positive post, just make sure you have a fuse assembly in line.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM
WildBillAce2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice choice! I've had mine for over a year and it never comes off!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Talking wiring

So you don't have to run the separate power lead from the head unit to a harness on the acc. switch? That would be great!! Will the unit work with the ign. switch in the acc. position? I put a 15 amp fuse in the main power lead....but if I add one to the single red lead I should be good?? That's great news!!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WildBillAce2
Nice choice! I've had mine for over a year and it never comes off!
Did you do the wiring/install yourself? Any tricks or weird tips I may need to button her up?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
Welcome to the world of the Super King.

I love the i-pod handlebar mount.....is that a custom piece? Or can it be had from a retailer?? Thanks......

Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
hawkeye85
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club! I love the versatility of the rk. I got a dragonfly fairing and but a nice used tour pak off ebay. theres nothing a king cant do. I took it one step farther this last week and went from 16" wild1's to 16" carlini gangsta apes and while doing so installed radio controls and re did all my wires so everything is still hidden and quick disconnect.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hawkeye85
Welcome to the club! I love the versatility of the rk. I got a dragonfly fairing and but a nice used tour pak off ebay. theres nothing a king cant do. I took it one step farther this last week and went from 16" wild1's to 16" carlini gangsta apes and while doing so installed radio controls and re did all my wires so everything is still hidden and quick disconnect.
Lookin Good man....lookin good!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Here is a link to the thread where I set up my fairing:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-fairing.html

Primary power should come from the P&A plug. It will provide you Switched power and ground. If I remember correctly the plug is under the left side cover.
The plug should have 4 wires, Black, Orange, Orange/Red and Orange/yellow.

Easy to find with a test light. Turn the switch on find the open plug with a connector that shows voltage, turn the switch off voltage should go away and back on with the switch. The black in the plug will be your ground.

Now the Power for your memory lead. I pulled mine from the battery positive connection if I remember correctly.