Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanes & Hines Dual Dressers or True Dual Big Shots?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
okkat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanes & Hines Dual Dressers or True Dual Big Shots?

This is for an 02 RKC

Anyone have an opinion as to what is the better set up? Does one perform better than then other? They are both about the same price if I buy inexpensive slip ons. Basically a Dual Dressers with a slip on run about $620, the True Dual Big Shots about $590 so it’s kind of a wash.

I like the dressers because they allow me the option to switch mufflers if I ever want to upgrade or I can even use my stock ones. However I like the look of one piece coming from the headers all the way back.

I want something what will create a dual system with sound on both sides, I am a little worried about losing HP and/or torque. What I don’t want is an obnoxiously loud bike that makes people flitch when I pass them. Does one set up produce more heat than the other?

Any feedback would be appreciated, I have wrestled with this and went back and forth a 100x’s in the last week. I am hoping someone’s words of wisdom can sway me one way of the other. Please, please, please help me come to a decision. I know, I know…it’s my bike, do what I want. That’s the problem I cannot figure out what I want!

Yes, I did do a search and found other posts relating to this very subject, I was hoping to breathe some life into this topic.

Nick

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the same delima when choosing my pipes.

My vote is for the dresser duals with slip ons. This is what I decided to do and i am very pleased with them.

The big shots are going to be loud. And personally, after looking at the big shots on a road king, I did not like the small pipes out the back.

I put twin slash rounds on mine, they are 4" in diameter and look much better to me under the bags. The small pipes tend to get lost under the saddlebags. Plus, you can always change mufflers at will. You can't do that with the big shots.

As for the sound of the twin slash rounds, I like it. Its good and throaty cruising and really barks when you hit it.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both look great....both perform the same. Duals aren't known for peak performance.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the big shot true duals, they look awesome, but they are LOUD

Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't speak about the Big Shots, have the V&H Dresser Duals and they work very well.

I like the ability to easily switch slip-ons.
Work well, look good, no heat issues compared to stock.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t know that they are too loud, I have no problem hearing my radio if I keep it under 75 and they certainly cover up a lot of the annoying HD noises.

If you have a heat issue I can tell you for certain that, when coupled with a Thunder Max, your bike will run cooler.

Attached Thumbnails Vanes & Hines Dual Dressers or True Dual Big Shots?-storm-008.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
okkat
Advanced

I may go with the dressers. I have a nice looking pair of mufflers with slashdown tips so maybe just the he headers for now? I do like the volume of my current set up, plus if I only buy the dressers at $327 I will have some cash left over for beach bars and help offset the Corbin solo I bought last week.

I am trying to change up my tour bike to more of a cruiser but one that I can slap my windshield on at any time and hit the long road. There was a guy that recently sold a teal and white RKC that he turned into a functional cruiser. I am going for that, beach bars, solo seat, ride without the shield unless I really need it. I ride more locally than anything but I want this bike to pop.

Last edited by okkat; 01-19-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM
mr2fast4u
Advanced

I have the True Duals, kinda loud, but I really like them, made the bike run way cooler.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
okkat
Advanced

Originally Posted by okkat
I may go with the dressers. I have a nice looking pair of mufflers with slashdown tips so maybe just the he headers for now? I do like the volume of my current set up, plus if I only buy the dressers at $327 I will have some cash left over for beach bars and help offset the Corbin solo I bought last week.

I am trying to change up my tour bike to more of a cruiser but one that I can slap my windshield on at any time and hit the long road. There was a guy that recently sold a teal and white RKC that he turned into a functional cruiser. I am going for that, beach bars, solo seat, ride without the shield unless I really need it. I ride more locally than anything but I want this bike to pop.
Like this one: