Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Diamond grips slippery

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
WNMORE
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Diamond grips slippery

Put on a set of the Black Diamond grips. They look great, but tough to get a firm grasp without slipping. Any ideas on how to make them "stickier". I know I am setting myself up for some wise comments, but the grips are slippery. Last set had a lot of rubber in the grip so it was much easier to grasp and hold.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same grips and haven't found any issues with slipping with/without gloves. I went with the black diamond series of hardware upgrades due to it went well with my color of bike choice.

Last edited by mkekid; 06-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found them that way too at first but got used to them. You could try different gloves that have the grippy stuff on the palm...

Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a pair on my dyna, and they did not slip at all. I put a set on my SG, and I agree that slip a little with gloves on. It seemed like the first pair I owned had deeper grooves cut into them. This new pair seems kind of smooth to me.

I didn't check on my packaging. Are they made in America?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are slippery and smaller diameter which makes them harder to grasp. I was on a two week trip and my throttle hand was cramping from it. I went to a bicycle store, actually around back of the store and went dumpster diving for a bicycle tube. I cut it up in inch or so strips and started slipping them over the grip until it was built up nice and thick. It looked like a crap sandwich but it worked like a dream.

Bike tubes are great for pistol grips too.

When I returned home I changed to
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Nice and thick and nonslip like the bike tubes but looks a little better than a crap sandwich.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 01-19-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've always like the looks of those grips, but had the same concerns as you mention. When I checked them out on the display with the other grips they did seem too smooth...at least for me.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tpmurray
They are slippery and smaller diameter which makes them harder to grasp. I was on a two week trip and my throttle hand was cramping from it. I went to a bicycle store, actually around back of the store and went dumpster diving for a bicycle tube. I cut it up in inch or so strips and started slipping them over the grip until it was built up nice and thick. It looked like a crap sandwich but it worked like a dream.

Bike tubes are great for pistol grips too.

When I returned home I changed to
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Nice and thick and nonslip like the bike tubes but looks a little better than a crap sandwich.

+1...LMAO, Thats the exact same thing I did except I didnt have to go Macgeiver on them. Took them back and got the nice rubber ones right away...very comfy!!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I would'a taken a pic of it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i looked at those diamondback grips too, but i had the same concerns with grip so i am using the coke bottle shaped harley rubber nostalgia grips and i'm really happy with them.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
AZCFH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wnmore ..have you looked at the performance machine grips? they are similar and have great grip as well as being able to replace the rubber part of the grip when they wear out

Quick Reply: Black Diamond grips slippery