Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police Passenger backrest???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
tazmnaz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Police Passenger backrest???

Setting up my 2009 Raod King Police. I am keeping the solo air seat and purchased the utopia backrest for it. I also bought the matching mustang passenger pillion with the idea of taking my time and looking for a reasonable tour pak to mount up higher because of the bags. I may now be taking a long ride with my wife and need a passenger backrest that will work with this in the mean time. Is there one that will work with this set up? I checked mustang and they do not make one. Or is there any other temporary option until I get the tour pak?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could buy the Harley docking kit and their passenger backrest, it would work fine with the Mustang police passenger seat. Buying new you'd have like $350 wrapped up into it though.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be very careful buying anything sight unseen. As you probably already know,it's hard to find stuff to match up to our Police bikes.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Cruiser

I have a 2009 FLHP. The Harley 4 point dock and detachable sissy bar fit perfectly. If you look up the part numbers on the Harley site, you can save some money on eBay. There are a few for sale there.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as stuff like backrests, seats, etc, the Police models are the same as a regular road king.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know about a temporary solution guess you could strap down a bag to the rack. I ordered my chopped harley tour pack from harley and fabricated a mounting bracket to raise it due to the clearence needed to open the saddlebags.

One thing to consider is due to the rearward position of the police solo seat it takes a little room from the passenger especially if you have a rider back rest.
If I were to do it again buy the george anderson tour pack relocator kit and make some 3/4" spacers for it than you can adjust it 1 1/2 to 2 1/2. You can mount it to the rack. This isnt the cheapest option but I really like my tour pack best money Ive spent on my bike so far use it all the time and never take it off.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some pics of what I did.

Attached Thumbnails Road King Police Passenger backrest???-dsc00555.jpg   Road King Police Passenger backrest???-dsc00556.jpg   Road King Police Passenger backrest???-dsc00557_2.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I made 5 spacers out of delrin for my '05 FLHPI to put under my tour pac to space it up. Had to get some longer bolts. I think I still have the spacers and they're yours if you want them. Kept the TP for the new (to me) Road Glide and I don't need them anymore. Let me know and I'll get them out of the shed if you're interested.
Jeff

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM
tazmnaz
Advanced

Thanks. This gives me a feww things to search for. If I get the 4 point dock with the backrest for now, will the 4 point still be good for the tour pak? Will it work with the relocation kit? Just trying to limit money spent that will not be used later.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
tazmnaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by boneziff
Dont know about a temporary solution guess you could strap down a bag to the rack. I ordered my chopped harley tour pack from harley and fabricated a mounting bracket to raise it due to the clearence needed to open the saddlebags.

One thing to consider is due to the rearward position of the police solo seat it takes a little room from the passenger especially if you have a rider back rest.
If I were to do it again buy the george anderson tour pack relocator kit and make some 3/4" spacers for it than you can adjust it 1 1/2 to 2 1/2. You can mount it to the rack. This isnt the cheapest option but I really like my tour pack best money Ive spent on my bike so far use it all the time and never take it off.
From your picture, it looks like you used the police rack. I see the spacers, but what is the bar under the tourpack that is above the police rack and in front of the spacers? Could I use an flat aluminum plate under the tour pack, that is longer that it to act as a relocation plate to mount it further back? This would include drilling the tour pack to the plate, but the drilling 4 more holes on the plate that are offset with spacers to mount it to the police rack????

Quick Reply: Road King Police Passenger backrest???