Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:05 AM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Starter suggestions

I just installed a built 107 with 10.5:1 compression in my 06 Electra Glide. The stock starter is having some issues turning it over and I'm looking for suggestions on an upgraded starter. I'm leaning towards the All ***** 1.4 kW unit but wanted some opinions and experiences with other starters before I make the purchase. I'm not interested in pulling the heads off to machine compression releases. Just want to upgrade the starter. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

The more the merrier! 1.4kW doesn't sound like much of a boost, there are 1.7kW and even 2.0kW versions available. I have a 2.0kW in my 107", just to be sure - seems adequate!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 AM
lizard86
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
The more the merrier! 1.4kW doesn't sound like much of a boost, there are 1.7kW and even 2.0kW versions available. I have a 2.0kW in my 107", just to be sure - seems adequate!
i was considering that as well. Just wasn't sure if that would require further upgrades to the battery, battery cables, etc.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard86
i was considering that as well. Just wasn't sure if that would require further upgrades to the battery, battery cables, etc.
My bike is an older model and I did install new battery cables, but that was more for replacing old corroded ones.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:41 AM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

With 10.5:1 compression on a hot day the 1.4 KW will not be enough. You really should have installed compression releases.
I have an all bore 107 with 10.5:1 and the stock starter and upgraded cables. It will turn it over cold in the morning but will not when its hot. A 1.7 KW or larger with upgraded cables might be ok.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 AM
lizard86
Tourer

Originally Posted by RKGDCG03
With 10.5:1 compression on a hot day the 1.4 KW will not be enough. You really should have installed compression releases.
I have an all bore 107 with 10.5:1 and the stock starter and upgraded cables. It will turn it over cold in the morning but will not when its hot. A 1.7 KW or larger with upgraded cables might be ok.
I bought the motor already built. If I had done the build I would have gone with compression releases.
Living in South Texas I will definitely go with a 1.7 or larger.
Thank you for the advice.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:46 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not going to be much help. I have S&S easy start cams so I went with the 1.4 all *****. Great starter that definitely has more butt than the OEM. I have the chrome version. It was a lot of $$$ for bling and I don't recall anyone ever commenting on my cool starter, but I'm happy and i'd do it again. I've polished ss fasteners everywhere so the starter fits in.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

How old is your starter? My bike was having starting issues as stock with just cams, new HD starter fixed that. When I was researching starters, a few people mentioned that the HD EFI starter spins at a faster RPM. Some of the other starters, even though they have more torque spin at a slower rpm and can still cause issues on a EFI bike. I should be building a 10.8:1 107 soon with compression releases and am hoping that I will be able to keep the OEM starter.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:30 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard86
I just installed a built 107 with 10.5:1 compression in my 06 Electra Glide. The stock starter is having some issues turning it over and I'm looking for suggestions on an upgraded starter. I'm leaning towards the All ***** 1.4 kW unit but wanted some opinions and experiences with other starters before I make the purchase. I'm not interested in pulling the heads off to machine compression releases. Just want to upgrade the starter. Thanks in advance.
================================================

Short term a fresh/new All ***** 1.4kw starter may improve starting,but for how long because as it wears a bit from normal use over time it will weaken below its stated 1.4kw output.

Ok,with that said 10.5 comp with no comp releaseson your HD i'd do the following that should do the trick & avoid having to remove heads to have them drilled for comp releases along with having them installed too.

* AS ALREADY SUGGESTED,INSTALL EASY START CAMS.

BUT IF YOUR MOTORS RUNNING WELL WITH NO LEAKS ETC AND YOU DONT WHAT TO SWAP CAMS THEN DO THIS:

* INSTALL HVY DUTY BATTERY/STARTER CABLE AVAIL FROM PHAT PERF ONLINE.

* INSTALL A FRESH HVY DUTY YUASA GYZ32HL/500CC BATTERY ALSO AVAIL FROM PHAT PERF ONLINE FOR ONLY $132 TO YOUR DOOR. (SEE DIRECTLY BELOW FOR LINK TO THE BATTERY)

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...earch.y=7&mfg=

* INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET HI TRQ STARTER WITH A MINIMUM OF 1.6KW CRANKING OUTPUT. (AVAIL ONLINE from EBAY/AMAZON/PAHT PERF/Jp
Cycle/FM, & OTHER SOURCES)

* COULD ALSO INSTALL A BLACK COLOR STARTER BLINKET TO KEEP IT COOLER THUS REDUCING LOSS OF STARTING PWR & TRQ WHEN RE-STARTING HOT.

NOTE,while your at it also check the charging system to ensure the battery is being properly charged too.

You should see approx 12.7's (+ - 1V) at the battery when fully charged, cables hooked up & motor off.

With motor idling @ the battery there should be approx 13.9-14v's & approx 14.2v's to max of 14.4-14.5 ish v's with motor @ 2,200-2,400ish rpm.

If you see voltage much diff then that you should have it checked out to ensure battery is properly/fully charged for more reliable hot starts with 10.5 comp & no comp releases.

Keep in mind it's all the things i rec above that " when collectively working together " as a heavy duty starting team significantly increase starting pwr/trq on your bike.

But if you dont do all i rec above like for example dont install a hi output 500cca yuasa battery along with also not installing larger hi capacity battery cables too as i rec above thats when the starting issues will still pop up here & there.

So if you want most reliable starts with your HD (esp if it's got fairly mild cam timing increasing cyl pressure with hi 10.5 compression) without installing comp releases do all the above as i rec and your starting problems should be a thing of the past for many miles/yrs to come.

BTW,If i had to remove 1 thing from my rec list it would be the starter blinket,but everything eles i rec is key to best starting with hi comp & no comp releases.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-29-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM
lizard86
Tourer

Originally Posted by wscott
================================================

Short term a fresh/new All ***** 1.4kw starter may improve starting,but for how long because as it wears a bit from normal use over time it will weaken below its stated 1.4kw output.

Ok,with that said 10.5 comp with no comp releaseson your HD i'd do the following that should do the trick & avoid having to remove heads to have them drilled for comp releases along with having them installed too.

* AS ALREADY SUGGESTED,INSTALL EASY START CAMS.

BUT IF YOUR MOTORS RUNNING WELL WITH NO LEAKS ETC AND YOU DONT WHAT TO SWAP CAMS THEN DO THIS:

* INSTALL HVY DUTY BATTERY/STARTER CABLE AVAIL FROM PHAT PERF ONLINE.

* INSTALL A FRESH HVY DUTY YUASA GYZ32HL/500CC BATTERY ALSO AVAIL FROM PHAT PERF ONLINE FOR ONLY $132 TO YOUR DOOR. (SEE DIRECTLY BELOW FOR LINK TO THE BATTERY)

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...earch.y=7&mfg=

* INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET HI TRQ STARTER WITH A MINIMUM OF 1.6KW CRANKING OUTPUT. (AVAIL ONLINE from EBAY/AMAZON/PAHT PERF/Jp
Cycle/FM, & OTHER SOURCES)

* COULD ALSO INSTALL A BLACK COLOR STARTER BLINKET TO KEEP IT COOLER THUS REDUCING LOSS OF STARTING PWR & TRQ WHEN RE-STARTING HOT.

NOTE,while your at it also check the charging system to ensure the battery is being properly charged too.

You should see approx 12.7's (+ - 1V) at the battery when fully charged, cables hooked up & motor off.

With motor idling @ the battery there should be approx 13.9-14v's & approx 14.2v's to max of 14.4-14.5 ish v's with motor @ 2,200-2,400ish rpm.

If you see voltage much diff then that you should have it checked out to ensure battery is properly/fully charged for more reliable hot starts with 10.5 comp & no comp releases.

Keep in mind it's all the things i rec above that " when collectively working together " as a heavy duty starting team significantly increase starting pwr/trq on your bike.

But if you dont do all i rec above like for example dont install a hi output 500cca yuasa battery along with also not installing larger hi capacity battery cables too as i rec above thats when the starting issues will still pop up here & there.

So if you want most reliable starts with your HD (esp if it's got fairly mild cam timing increasing cyl pressure with hi 10.5 compression) without installing comp releases do all the above as i rec and your starting problems should be a thing of the past for many miles/yrs to come.

BTW,If i had to remove 1 thing from my rec list it would be the starter blinket,but everything eles i rec is key to best starting with hi comp & no comp releases.

Scott
Thank you for the advice. My charging system is working as it should. I will upgrade the battery and cables as I feel the cables are probably due anyway. They have been on the bike since I have had it (almost 4 years). Now I just need to decide on a starter. Looking at the all ***** 1.7 and the Terry Components 1.8 or 2.0. The Terry Components starters require a spacer for the oil fill spout but I have no problems installing that as well if they will be better in the long run than the all ***** starter.

Quick Reply: Starter suggestions