Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Police style training (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/603364-police-style-training.html)

NCtaxguy 01-25-2011 03:08 PM

Police style training

I want to be able to ride my Ultra better in "tight" situations and am wondering if anyone has had success with taking a course aimed at teaching police style riding techniques. Anyone know of a course in NC?

BigIck 01-25-2011 03:22 PM

The Motorcycle Safety Foundations Basic and formerly named Experienced Rider Course (now Basic II if I recall) was pretty tight, especially the S turn in the 20' box.

Cousy 01-25-2011 03:38 PM

In my area the MSF Experienced Rider Course is the same as the Basic Rider Course, but you are doing all the maneuvers on your own motorcycle. I'm also interested in a motor officer type course. I'm sure the "Ride Like a Pro" courses are great, but they are only offered in Florida I think.

Cousy 01-25-2011 03:43 PM

Strike that...apparently there are Ride Like a Pro courses in other states. There is one listed for Kernersville, NC.

"Dutch" 01-25-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by NCtaxguy (Post 7830404)
I want to be able to ride my Ultra better in "tight" situations and am wondering if anyone has had success with taking a course aimed at teaching police style riding techniques. Anyone know of a course in NC?

Here where I am at local cops make extra money motorcading funeral processions. Those officers take the MSF course, so that would be a good start to learn quality riding skills. As I witnessed some of these officers conduct crazy moves; chalk it up to experience or the course and experience....

also there is a DVD put out by a Flordia Officer that you can purchase. It shows basic and advanced stuff. I do not remember the name. I hope someone will chime in on that...because he and his wife are riding Ultras, I believe...

Harleypingman 01-25-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by NCtaxguy (Post 7830404)

As mentioned you can take the RLAP class in NC; just Google Ride Like a Pro North Carolina and you should get their website. I took the course two years ago and recommend it.

I also strongly recommend that you learn/practice the "friction zone" and dragging the rear brake BEFORE you take the course since basically all of the drills require use of those techniques and it's very hard/impossible to do the drills while you're trying to learn the friction zone on your bike at the same time.

Carl

"Dutch" 01-25-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by quickbiscuit (Post 7830533)
Strike that...apparently there are Ride Like a Pro courses in other states. There is one listed for Kernersville, NC.

That is it. Ride Like a Pro. That might be what you are looking for.....

NewAge 01-25-2011 04:03 PM

The course is fairly expensive - save yourself some money and buy the Ride Like A Pro V DVD ($50) and find an empty parking lot. You can do all of the maneuvers and learn at your own pace. That's what I did and I have mastered it all. No offense to the MSF course but it's tame compared to the RLAP stuff. It seems like it is geared toward the people that have NO prior riding experience whatsoever. I have taken all of their courses btw. Marine Corps made me do it! Lol JMHO

Papatronics 01-25-2011 04:08 PM

I suggest you purchase and practice via 'Ride Like A Pro' DVD. I used it and was doing 17' U-turns without a glitch after a few practice sessions. I now scrape my Floorboard mounts like a bad habit at will. All my buddies I ride with have remarked as to the improvement in my riding and on occasion even asked "how'd you do that?" Thing is, they just wanna ride, not practice on cones.... to each their own I say.

Do a local google search for police/civilian motor officer training. I located the Alameda County Sheriffs Office about 20 mi. away from me and after practicing with 'Ride Like A Pro' exercises awhile I am enrolled in their intermediate and advanced course. I visited during their advanced class & I suggest anybody interested try to schedule spring or fall if your summers are hot as they DO put you through an all day workout. The class I witnessed had both motor officers and civilians in it and it was very similar to what Jerry Palladino has on his videos of the 'Police training section'......

t. sawyer 01-25-2011 04:09 PM

I just recently bought the "ride like a pro dvds" and have watched all 3 .. 1 ride like a pro is alot of the drills the police use to practice. 2 "surviving the mean streets" 3. tale of the dragon ride. When the weather breaks some I plan on getting some cones or something to set up those drills in a vacate parking lot for me and 2 of my sons to pratice all those slow moves with confidence. As stated above most of it seem to be about throttle clutch and brake (friction zone) price was I think 89.00 hope this helps.
Kroozeabout.