Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHR 2-UP Detachable Rack Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 520 Likes on 268 Posts
Question FLHR 2-UP Detachable Rack Issue?

I spent all day yesterday installing this HD detachable rack on my 2008 Road Glide. I can say to those thinking of putting one in as I did, prepair to be frustrated, take lots of breaks and give your self all day to do it! Anyway.... my question here is, the rack (HD-53743-97), is made with these 2 flimsy *** Roll Pins that work as stoppers for the rotary latches. The roll pin on the right side keeps coming off. I am trying to determine what to to as far as an alternate to replacing both these pins with something that will be more sturdy and semi-permanent. If anyone here has any practical ideas, please chime in and let me know. I appreciate any help in this dilemma.

Here are some photos of the actual rack and roll pins:

Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I don't think I've got those pins on my detachable rack but mines for an older model bike (98). If all they do is prevent the latch from spinning around I would pull them out and forget about it.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your set up the one that is pictured w/ the sissy bar and pad or just a luggage rack. I ask this because my rack simply attaches to the sissy bar upright? And I do not have the roll pin on either that QD system or the one for my detachable tour pak

Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The roll pins are worthless...... rip em out, throw them away.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine never had a stop pin...get rid of it you don't need it.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Exclamation Nope!

Originally Posted by vet767
Is your set up the one that is pictured w/ the sissy bar and pad or just a luggage rack. I ask this because my rack simply attaches to the sissy bar upright? And I do not have the roll pin on either that QD system or the one for my detachable tour pak
I should have taken a snap shot of my bike with it on but once I had it off already, I figured just put up any actual photo of the rack. My bike has no passenger sissy bar, only the rack itself. After further thought, I figured no harm will come if I did just remove them both and did without them. Who at Harley Davidson sat down and thought this up and even after looking at the finished product, would still think this was a good idea?

Last edited by Dispatch; 01-31-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Additions.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee, I almost hate to chime in on this one because it sounds like you're pretty pissed, but just to let you know that I have a detachable rack for a solo seat and it has the exact same roll racks, but no stop pins. It was a breeze to install and seems to work fine.

I took a couple of quick photos for you. As others have said, take the stop pins out, you don't need it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails FLHR 2-UP Detachable Rack Issue?-roadking2.jpg   FLHR 2-UP Detachable Rack Issue?-rollrack1.jpg   FLHR 2-UP Detachable Rack Issue?-rollrack2.jpg  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Question AfterMarket?

Yours looks aftermarket, correct? I like the rubber grommets on the front two docking attachments. I'm not pissed, I'm glad its over and done with. It looks good now, not to mention practical. The hardest part was attaching the 2 elbow brackets and bolts. The bolts were so short, it left almost no extra length to grab the threads, that being because the main support bracket was slightly twisted, due to the 2 bolts that attach the muffler and saddlebag guide rail together, below.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is HD Part# 54213-09. I'm surprised it would be made any different than yours.

Seriously, mine goes on and comes off very easy. In fact, so easy that it could be stolen in a heartbeat. At my dealer, I saw a locking roll rack with a key that's available. It was priced rediculous, I'm thinking about $40, so had to pass on that.

Mike

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Thumbs up I see.

Weird.... it looks Kuryakyn. My mistake. Also with mine, I had to install a radio antenna relocation kit, down where the muffler bracket and the saddlebag guide rail connect. I know the locks for the rack you speak of (46063-98). They might come in handy, especially at one of the bike events like this coming BikeWeek(March 4-13th, 2011), here in Daytona Beach. Alot of theft and vadalism goes on during that time. $40.00 to save you $200.00, it gives you piece of mind. Order it from Zanotti, they have it for $36.61.
https://shop.zanottimotor.com/part/46063-98
Order a few other things to make up for the shipping. I have got to find those rubber Cam Lock Guards you have on you rack!

Quick Reply: FLHR 2-UP Detachable Rack Issue?