Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream

Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream

have pretty much decided on one of these windshields,not sure which to choose any opinions? also what height? I have a '10 ultra and am 6'3" tall would like to look over the winshield stock one is right in m eyesight.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

I went through the same decision basically. I looked at their site, decided on the shield I wanted after doing a search here on the site and once I decided I sent an email to LRS with my height etc and that I too wanted to look OVER the shield. They made a suggestion and I placed my order. Bike is down at the moment with parts out for powder coating but can't wait to install the shield and go for a ride.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

You may want to check out Freedom Shields (freedomshields.com). They have the recurve (or flip) style. I'm 6'3'' and look over the top of the windshield. I have the 10" dark smoke and it works great. They have other sizes and shades too. It's 3/16" thick compared to 1/8" for most others. Another good thing about Freedom Shields is that you can try it out and if you don't like it, you can send it back for only the cost of shipping. It ain't cool like the 4'', but it's functional. At 63 years old I had to give up on totally cool:+)

See attachments.

Attached Thumbnails Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream-img00011-20100731-1433-2-.jpg   Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream-052.jpg   Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream-030.jpg   Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream-sam_0533.jpg   Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream-sam_0609.jpg  

Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't speak about the function of the x-stream because I've never tried one. I do know I don't like the look of it but that's just my opinion.

I can speak about the ultra flip line because I have and have had more then a few flip up shields from LRS and Clearview. The ultra works a little better then the classic as advertised.
The quick answer is LRS is a good shield. It works really well and looks good on the bike (again just my opinion).
I think Clearview is a little better made and I also think it looks a little better on the bike BUT and its a big enough but that keeps me using and recommending LRS shields. But Clearview is a pain in the *** to deal with.
I've bought several shields in the past 8 or 9 years from them for my road glide and Electra glide and never found them easy to deal with.

LRS on the other had was very easy to deal with. I got my shield in a reasonable amount of time for less money then clearview and when I had a problem LRS answered the phone and or e-mail's.

As for height. Take a crayon or some other non permanent marker (it's easier if someone else dose the marking but you can do it yourself if need be).
Sit in position, mark the shield so that you see just over the mark.
Take the shield off and measure from the bottom to the mark.
That's the height you want.
All that said, if the 10" stock shield works for you but its in your line of sight a 9" flip shield would work better then the 10" and you should see over it.

I hope that helps

Last edited by Eddy G; 02-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 9" X Stream and a 10" Ultra flip. The bike is a 09 ElectraGlide UC-- I'm 5'10" on a good day and I look over the X Stream by about 2-2.5".

I find the X Stream doesn't wind buffet, while the Ultra Flip does have a small amount of wind buffet, not objectionable but noticeable to me.

I prefer the X Stream over the Ultra Flip by a small margin. Added-- I consider shields to be a consumable item when they are "tatty" looking from scratches, rock impacts, etc.
LRS shields are priced well enough that I would be happy to replace once a year if I needed to do so.

Last edited by V2Evo96; 02-02-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add input
Old 02-03-2011, 12:23 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

at 6'4" on an '09 Ultra Classic I went with the 10" Long Ride Shield Ultra Flip. I've had it for about a month now and very pleased with the product and my decision. I plan to also get a 9" or 10" X-Stream sometime in the near future and do my own comparison.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10" vs 10" -- I have both, 250-ish, 6'0", used on both my previous (2008 SG) and current (2011 EGC) bikes -- These two (Ultra-flip and X-Stream) are my favorites -- among over a dozen shields I have (and so many more that I tried).

Here's the skinny (IME)... I hate "extreme" buffeting (this is why I've tried so many shields). No shield stops it - The best you're going to do is minimize it - Which both do very well.

So it comes down to a matter of what "style" of buffeting you're more "comfy" with... The X-Stream gives very small "chatter" - "wind bullets" for lack of a better term. It's nice - but if you hit the right spot, your glasses start shaking, etc. (although they don't try to fly off as they do with a SG stock shield or anything like that). The 'Flip' gives more of a "soft pillow" coming at you - Which in the end, is my personal preference.

IMO/E, YMMV, etc., etc., yada, yada.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Ultra myself. Haven't tried the X but had a Cee Bailey SSC (similar) and prefer the Ultra's performance.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

I have only a few test rides on the Ultra vs. X-Stream but prefer the X-Stream because the bike is more stable in wind. I got a 7" Ultra and 9" X-Stream because they slant back. I'm 5'8" and use a DG Big seat most of the time so I sit about 1 1/2" lower. I find I like the light tint the best even though I look over on the Hwy. you get better vision in the city.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Ultra T
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10" Ultra. Haven't been able to test a whole bunch (weather) but with the limited riding I have done with it I'm satisfied. 6'1" with stock seat. I see about 2" over the top of the shield. Also emailed LRS and they recommeded 10". Went with a light tint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Ride Shields ultra flip or x-stream