Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement shocks for 2006 Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default replacement shocks for 2006 Streetglide

Any opinions out there?

Looking to replace the stock air shocks for a better ride. Looking to keep the stock SG height.

Really not particular between air or standard type shocks, just looking to upgrade the ride quality a tad.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Before you go spending lots of money on something you might not like but have already paid for, just replace the oil in the shocks with a different grade. The stock shocks are just fine and were engineered for your cycle. All this aftermarket stuff might also be fine but many have determined that while the aftermarket shocks might improve the ride in some respects they fail to do so in others.

Lots of threads on HDF about how to change the shock oil and what to substitute the original oil with. If you are yet not happy after changing the oil then go ahead and buy the expensive aftermarkets. I think you might be surprised what an oil change can do.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 AM
whistlebritches
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a subject i know about.....first i hate air shocks....i've run Platinum, Legends, & Progressive...they all have problems from bleeding down and burning paint to having to fool with them constantly....i have a set of Penske's on the SG...and a cheap set of progressive 412's on the EG...i strongly recommend not using air...personally the Penske's are very nice, but too many adjustments....those cheap progressives ride great for the money and when they deteriorate, i'll buy another set....but it aint gonna be air

Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a set of HD stock air shocks off a 2011 Ultra on my 07 StreetGlide.
The 2011 shocks are 13 inches long vs the 2007 SG shocks at 12 inches
For me its a much better ride with the 11's than with the 07's

Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by simpkinst
Any opinions out there?

Looking to replace the stock air shocks for a better ride. Looking to keep the stock SG height.

Really not particular between air or standard type shocks, just looking to upgrade the ride quality a tad.
There are lots of views out there on improving the ride on SGs. Subject comes up regularly. Take a look back over previous posts, but get yourself a long drink first!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
Before you go spending lots of money on something you might not like but have already paid for, just replace the oil in the shocks with a different grade. The stock shocks are just fine and were engineered for your cycle. All this aftermarket stuff might also be fine but many have determined that while the aftermarket shocks might improve the ride in some respects they fail to do so in others.

Lots of threads on HDF about how to change the shock oil and what to substitute the original oil with. If you are yet not happy after changing the oil then go ahead and buy the expensive aftermarkets. I think you might be surprised what an oil change can do.

Thanks for the info....while I am not a big fan of the Air Shock..I will give this a shot this spring. I assume a heavier grade will better the ride.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

The original Showa (HD) shocks are widely reported here to be filled with 5 wt. SHOCK OIL, not fork oil. BelRay makes the stuff as do others. If you are bottoming then you should go with a heavier weight, perhaps 7.5 or 10. The heavier the oil the less rapidly the shocks will extend and retract.

Search HDF for information about how to both remove and replace the oil. It is easy, doesn't take very long, and will not cost much for you to see if the improvement is to your liking.

There are numerous ways to add the shock oil back as you will see. The way I did it was to use a hydraulic jack setup to compress the shocks. Into the air fitting hole I put a 1/8" barbed pipe fitting with plastic hose and funnel at the top. Fill the funnel with oil, release the hydraulic pressure and the oil will be sucked in. You will have to do this sequence several times to get all the oil in that is called for. In your case if I recall correctly this should be 10 ounces (check this though, might be 11). I believe you have 12" standard shocks?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM
My01fxd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes sir...I hate air shocks as well.

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
here's a subject i know about.....first i hate air shocks....i've run Platinum, Legends, & Progressive...they all have problems from bleeding down and burning paint to having to fool with them constantly....i have a set of Penske's on the SG...and a cheap set of progressive 412's on the EG...i strongly recommend not using air...personally the Penske's are very nice, but too many adjustments....those cheap progressives ride great for the money and when they deteriorate, i'll buy another set....but it aint gonna be air

I hate air shocks also...I have a 2006 SG. I'm tired of messing with these air shocks....they are 12 inch stock and I have a pair of 11 inch progressives off of my old superglide. I am only 5'7". I'm looking to lower it as well....what do you think about the 11 inch progressives?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:36 PM
broke c7
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

i have had progressive suspension 412's (heavy duty) on my last 2 bikes and am currently running them on my 07 e glide. for $269, best upgrade you could do. i like them way better than stock. sure there will be better shocks, but i don't want to spend that kind of money.