Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's in your tool roll?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Misfit Tank
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's in your tool roll?

I'm trying to assemble a tool kit for my'02 Road King. I know Snap On makes a great kit, but I'm trying to keep my cost down and use some of the tools I already have. I would like to carry the least amount of tools to get the job done example not carry a whole Torx set if I only need one size. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Misfit Tank
I'm trying to assemble a tool kit for my'02 Road King. I know Snap On makes a great kit, but I'm trying to keep my cost down and use some of the tools I already have. I would like to carry the least amount of tools to get the job done example not carry a whole Torx set if I only need one size. Thanks in advance for all replies.

My kit has a tool for every nut and bolt on the bike. With the exception of the fork top nuts and the rear axel. Figuring I don't want to carry a lift with me in case of a flat. That's why I carry a cell phone

Doing this from memory, but, I think I have 3 torx, 4 or 5 allens, and about 5 open/box wrenches. One of those combo screwdrivers (includes the torx bits and a couple screwdriver tips) Pliers (multi tool), and a small vise grip. And a spark plug socket with a t-bar handle.

All of that is stashed in a zippered padded bag, and sits in the bottom of the right saddlebag. It's in the right one, so I don't have cars trying to see how close they can get to my a$$ without actually hitting me.

I also have roadside assistance

Last edited by shooter5074; 02-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
My kit has a tool for every nut and bolt on the bike. With the exception of the fork top nuts and the rear axel. Figuring I don't want to carry a lift with me in case of a flat. That's why I carry a cell phone
If you have a factory tool roll you'll have those covered as well. There is a wrench in there that will work for the Fork caps and the rear axle.

But maybe you didn't get one...

For the OP: I only carry the factory tool roll, some tie wraps, two spark plugs, a small adjustable wrench, tire repair kit (CO2 kit), tire pressure gauge, and finally... a cell phone.

lp

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
If you have a factory tool roll you'll have those covered as well. There is a wrench in there that will work for the Fork caps and the rear axle.

But maybe you didn't get one...

For the OP: I only carry the factory tool roll, some tie wraps, two spark plugs, a small adjustable wrench, and a cell phone.

lp
Didn't get one for my 05, had to make one..... and my 2011 is not here yet....It's been a long winter.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cruz tools makes a pretty good tool roll as well. I have one of theirs in my 02 RKC and the factory one in my 10 Ultra. In addition, I always carry a few tie straps, two bungie cords, a bungie net, a dial tire pressure gage and a quart of M1 20w50.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Misfit Tank
Intermediate

My Road King did not come with a tool kit either. If anybody knows specific wrench sizes, Torx sizes, etc. That would really help me build a good one.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Misfit Tank
My Road King did not come with a tool kit either. If anybody knows specific wrench sizes, Torx sizes, etc. That would really help me build a good one.
Can't help with specifics, as I'm at work.... the bike is 22 miles away. What I did was buy a cheap set of each type, and pulled the ones I needed for my tool bag. By cheap, I mean the type you can buy at those truckload sales. They are actually decent tools.

But no matter what..... you will need a 10 millimeter for the battery

Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My new-to-me 2006 FLHXI did not come with a tool roll/kit. I now have a new project. Good tips.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this, I like the pouches and you can buy them complete with tools or use their list to start building your set. They work great but they do sit in the bottom of the bag so a lot has to come out when you need them. But most of the time you don't need them so I don't mind it. http://storagepouches.com

Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by equandt
Cruz tools makes a pretty good tool roll as well. I have one of theirs in my 02 RKC and the factory one in my 10 Ultra. In addition, I always carry a few tie straps, two bungie cords, a bungie net, a dial tire pressure gage and a quart of M1 20w50.
+1 on the Cruz kit. I got one for Father's day and it even has an LED flashlight and locktite and safety wire in it. Not that I really care about the locktite, but it has quite a bit in it and it's pretty good quality.

Quick Reply: What's in your tool roll?