Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long for a dyno tune??

Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of hours at least...

Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by geargrinder
OK, I think that we are on the same page. What I meant is that you have to build these issues, that are a normal part of business, into your rates and if you have been doing this for 12 years you obviously understand it. However, the customers often do not, they often look at that $85/hr as close to your take home pay. Our automotive dyno was down for two weeks once awaiting a major and expensive part, our sole business was based around that machine. With the realization that this is a reality of business we soon built this into our new rates, like a retail store builds shrinkage do to theft into their prices. No, we did not charge the customer, whos Viper broke it, for two weeks. Sorry for causing confusion on my post.

No problem. If we relied solely on our dyno for income i'm sure we would re-think our practices. But we are a full service shop as well as a used bike dealership. We have a full machine shop and do all our boring and headwork and anything else. When/ if the dyno goes down it hurts and it takes priority to get it up and going. Mainly because it's a scheduling nightmare if we get too far behind. I know what you are saying as far as the customers, if they would only realise the amount of money in equipment, and other overhead a good shop has, they'd realise that 65 an hour is really low for a shop rate.