Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary OIL, what Weight ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive "read" that you dont want synthetic oil in primary cuz it is very slippery and may cause preamature clutch slippage.... never tried it myself good ole dino 15-40 works great tho

Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
mikeflhr10
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfortkamp
Ive "read" that you dont want synthetic oil in primary cuz it is very slippery and may cause preamature clutch slippage.... never tried it myself good ole dino 15-40 works great tho

MA2 (L-EMA2) is what u look for in oil to be used in a wet clutch

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Viggen
Intermediate

For those bashing synthetic don't knock it unless you have tried it. And trying it in conditions that stress the oil is the best way to compare.

20/50 Royal Purple is what I use however Amsoil (& also Redline) is also excellent stuff & many feel is superior to Mobil 1. The one advantage Mobil 1 has is it's easier to find locally & cheaper at Wally World thus I use Mobil 1 in my cars, $25 for a 5qt jug is hard to beat!

Anyways, the difference between dyno & synthetic is HUGE on a air cooled motorcycle. I have done probably 100-200 parades on various HD's (present HD has only been in 2 parades) & when I use dyno in there the bike pings, throws out massive smoke & just runs horribly in 90+ weather. Swapping the oil to a good sythetic it will still get hot however zero pinging, smoke etc since the oil doesn't get thin when the temps get so high.

Synthetic can go longer then dyno between oil changes but not the 10-15K miles many car manufacturers claim, that's just scary!!!!

Mobil1 is also usually on the thin side of oils, not as thick as a comparable weight oil so depending on the conditions sometimes you need to step up to a higher weigh due to thinning at high temps.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The primary chaincase is not as "harsh" of an environment as the motor or tranny and I just don't think there are any real advantages to using synthetic in there. JMO

Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soos
Castrol GTX 10-40. Using a synthetic is just a plain waste of $$$.
Yep. Could use butter if you wanted. No combustion gases, fuel contamination, or oil pressure worries. Just slick things up.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeflhr10
U guys need the fact synthetic is ALOT better oil read up to much to explain to somebody How don't want to listen
Originally Posted by Viggen
For those bashing synthetic don't knock it unless you have tried it. And trying it in conditions that stress the oil is the best way to compare.
I guess you two rocket scientists missed the title of this thread: Primary oil, what weight?

Primary oil has no stressful lubrication duties. It mostly transfers heat. There is nothing about synthetics that does that better than regular motor oil or even auto trans fluid. That's all that HDs discontinued Primary Fluid was.

So come down off of your synthetic high horses on this subject. Save it for all those interesting Oil threads.

The following users liked this post:
robbie52 (07-17-2018)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viggen

20/50 Royal Purple is what I use however Amsoil (& also Redline) is also excellent stuff & many feel is superior to Mobil 1. The one advantage Mobil 1 has is it's easier to find locally & cheaper at Wally World thus I use Mobil 1 in my cars, $25 for a 5qt jug is hard to beat!

Anyways, the difference between dyno & synthetic is HUGE on a air cooled motorcycle. I have done probably 100-200 parades on various HD's (present HD has only been in 2 parades) & when I use dyno in there the bike pings, throws out massive smoke & just runs horribly in 90+ weather. Swapping the oil to a good sythetic it will still get hot however zero pinging, smoke etc since the oil doesn't get thin when the temps get so high.

Synthetic can go longer then dyno between oil changes but not the 10-15K miles many car manufacturers claim, that's just scary!!!!

Mobil1 is also usually on the thin side of oils, not as thick as a comparable weight oil so depending on the conditions sometimes you need to step up to a higher weigh due to thinning at high temps.
Sure, but we're talking about the primary here. No stress at all, no heat to speak of. Lot's of folks run 'em open. You can put you hand on the primary after sitting in traffic.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

I'm using ATF in the primary on our 97 RKC and have hade no issues at all with shifting or clutch action. Weight / oil grade has not been any problem.

Last edited by Avmech97; 02-12-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:33 AM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Red Line is the best blood i've ver used. Highly recommend.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Amsoil all three holes!!!!! 20/50

Quick Reply: Primary OIL, what Weight ?