Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torx bolt next to shifter shaft seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 PM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torx bolt next to shifter shaft seal leaking

In the pictures in this thread, next to the shifter shaft seal is a Torx bolt. Mine is leaking tranny fluid from. I just had the primary seals replaced, had the whole primary off because I was told that the leak was from the primary, i got the bike home and immediately saw it was leaking again, checked around and saw a little pool of oil on that u shaped lip underneath the torx bolt. I called my indy and he said, well...that wasnt leaking so he is not gonna help me out, i went to 3 hd dealers who said they have never seen that leak, ever, and i went to another indy who said the same thing.

Couple things, has anyone ever seen this? What is the name of the piece, the HD dealers kept saying shifter Pawl, but my indy says that the pawl stopped being used pre 2002, I have a 2005 road king with 10k miles. Indy says primary needs to come off, does anyone not agree with this? is there a 90 degree torx? would not like to spend another 300 to get the primary off. Please help By the way, this isnt my bike, i took these pics from another post here about the shifter shaft seal, i couldnt take good pictures with my primary on, but these show the torx bolt as if the primary was off.

Attached Thumbnails Torx bolt next to shifter shaft seal leaking-img_0967.jpg   Torx bolt next to shifter shaft seal leaking-img_0975.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your indy sounds like an *******, he charged you 300 bucks to pull your primary apart and replace seals (that you obviously didn't need) you brought the bike home and it's still leaking, and he says it's not his problem?
Time to get a new wrench dude! He should have run the bike, and made sure it wasn't leaking before he gave it back to you, or better yet properly determined where the leak was coming from in the first place and fixed it. I have heard about people putting some RTV, or form a gasket (clean with brake clean, blow out well), fill that recess with the "goop" and replace the spaner, wipe off the excess, and allow 24 hours to set. A fiend of mine had a shifter shaft seal leak, and the first time they replaced it, it still leaked because it wasn't installed properly, second replacement worked. Post where your from, I'm sure someone will help you out for some shot's and beers, or at least recomend a honest indy.

Last edited by jimsflh; 02-18-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear

the thing is, i went to pick the bike up, he goes, been sitting here all night, not a drop, I literally drove 10 miles, called him and told him it was leaking. I pointed to him before he started working that there was oil pooling at the bottom of the bike...and im assuming he just put it on the lift and started pulling the primary to replace seals. Guy came highly recommended, and when i called him back about it, he seemed like I was outta line. I guess my issue is, and i have another thread going with this, is that, what is that Torx Bolt too, it is not a shifter pawl because the bike is an 05, why is it there? I was thinking of buying a cheap torx set, breaking the right one off, duct taping it in a box wrench, backing that bolt out, putting teflon around it, and torquing it back down, but I dont want to do that without knowing why its there in the first place. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the shifter. The shifter shaft seal is not leaking, Im sure it is coming from underneath that bolt.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:16 AM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear

An addition, those are all the things i stated to him in regards to determining where the leak was and telling me it wasnt leaking after he fixed it. Its funny how the oil was in the exact same location, all symptoms were the same, yet...now its a different spot caused by me within 10 miles of riding.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:47 AM
Unheilig
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Overfilling the trans or excessive idling will sometimes cause trans fluid from it." Is it true?

On what mileage is the oil seal usually changed?

James Gasket - JGI-12045-DL ?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

check youtube. I just saw a vid on replacing that seal. If I remember right, there is a grommet and washer that seals that shifter shaft. You have to remove the primary cover, inner cover, then starter, then you can replace the seal. THis is a common issue. You must be kidding that dealers and indies are not familiar with this leak.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Unheilig
"Overfilling the trans or excessive idling will sometimes cause trans fluid from it." Is it true?

On what mileage is the oil seal usually changed?

James Gasket - JGI-12045-DL ?
HEY GUYS.....ya know this thread is over 6 years old right??
Probably fixed by now.........

Old 05-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Like trout rising to a fly...

Old 05-07-2017, 03:13 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
HEY GUYS.....ya know this thread is over 6 years old right??
Probably fixed by now.........
The Russians did it!

Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I blame Obama...

Quick Reply: Torx bolt next to shifter shaft seal leaking