Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what age would u take the kids

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 10, my daughter did a couple of 2 day rides of 200 miles each day on a heritage. I just had to keep the candy bars coming and hot chocolate in the thermos. The biggest thing is to take frequent breaks and make sure they don't fall asleep and fall off the bike.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM
mechmatt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is almost 2 and I have taken her around the block, no major roads yet. She loves things like that I had a four wheeler and she would cry when we left to ride with out her. I fired up my father in laws bike yesterday and she was so excited, jumping, giggling and screaming. She loves it. I took her for a ride on mine before I took the wife. I can't wait till she can ride with me more.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Around 9 or 10. About the same time I could find a helmet small enough to fit them properly.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Beanerflhx
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter loves to ride with me and she was on back at 5 yrs but I did have her straped to me in a riding harness. No worries of her falling off when she would fall asleep.

http://www.childridingbelt.com/engabout.htm

Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Colorado, if the child's feet cannot touch the floorboards or pegs, you can be pulled over and given a ticket.

I was lucky one day. I was giving a lady friends kids a ride on the Ultra and her son was probably 2" too short (feet were 2" above the floorboards). I hadn't even considered that, figuring if he could climb on and had appropriate safety gear, a short ride would be fun.

Fortunately for me, the Sheriff that pulled up next to me and I were friends and he recognized me, so he suggested I make a direct route 'home' and keep the CO State law in mind til all the kids were tall enough to reach the floorboards.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I started taking my daughter on rides when her feet could reach the floorboards. Now she won't get on the bike because it messes up her hair and one of the boys at school might see her.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

as soon as I didnt have to tye them down. Ive heard some states have laws about that but not shure exactly. In PA its as long as you dont force them .. last I heard?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Started with short rides ariund the block when my daughter was about 3. I'd put her in front of me and off we'd go. Sheriff did stop me and send us home once. Anyway, that hooked her. She's been everywhere with the old man and this summer we're riding with a group up to the Black Hills. She says she's getting a Ninja when she's old enough. Lord, take me now. LOL

Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I don't think it is as much about age as physical strength, balance and mental awareness about safety. That being said, I have taken my kids and my nieces and nephews for rural rides as young as 3 years old with no problems. I have even been known to have one in front of me and one behind me. Rural country roads only. Not on main roads or in towns.

My nephews favorite saying when riding the bike was "make it go loud". I never really knew for sure if he really meant he wanted me to twist the throttle to go faster or if he just wanted to hear the pipes, but either way he loved to ride "loud" at three years old.

Dennis

Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DWhite
when they can put their foot flat on the rear floorboards and they have enough sense to not juke around in the back. For my daughter that was at 8 yrs old.
This is it. They have to be large enough to FIT on the bike to be safe. My son was about 10-11 when he went out with me for the first time. He had a helmet and jacket of his own to ride. He loved it when I would take him to elementary school on the bike. I was the coolest dad ever. It did not last, as he is now a teenager and I am an idiot most of the time in his opinion. But for awhile I was super cool.
I remember my dad taking my sister and I out on his bike. I rode on the tank, my sister on the seat with Dad, never a helmet, probably wearing shorts. We were about 5 and 6 at the time???? I am sure that would get you in trouble with child protection services these days.

Quick Reply: At what age would u take the kids